Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Master control sketch, I think?!

andy_makerandy_maker Member Posts: 4
I am a Boomer, hobbyist and a complete noob being self-taught in Onshape over just the last few weeks.  Nonetheless, thank you Onshape for sharing such a brilliant saas with hobbyists like me.  And, much deep respect to those of you who do this everyday.

As below illustrated, I inadvertently did something that caused my construction lines to show up on ALL part studios including imported files.  Right or wrong, I laid out my initially anticipated construction lines and subsequently duplicated the studio three times keeping these construction lines as the initial sketch in each.  I Projected these construction into subsequent sketches as usable (e.g. non-construction) lines, but when later modifying them and being confronted with over-definitions, I often lazily just deleted the projection linkages rather than track down the conflict. 

As the design evolved, I ended up with most of my key elements rotated 45deg.  I could not find/eliminate all necessary constraints that would to allow me to rotate the entire studio so I started to redraw some of these elements as shown to the right of the origin point in the below, rightmost graphic.

If I did this correctly, here's a link to the document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09422fbaff4f3d336a98fd21/w/2f5800b8c894641ba71ee4f5/e/b56438dc88aac817180959fd.  The issue occurred on the Casings studio, fyi, and in case it matters, I deleted this initial "Constr Lines" sketch in the Casings studio after giving up on numerous other attempts to resolve the issue.  I had even saved a version this morning (for the first time) so I would have a fail safe fallback point, but it isn't allowing me to eliminate this issue either.  

Sorry for the lengthy narrative.  I am not sure what is or isn't relevant to the issue.  And yes, I did search the forum, but I could not tie a discussion directly to my issue.  Perhaps my terminology is wrong.  I hope this matter is tied simply to a rookie mistake and is not a loss of far too much time in trial and error.  Any help/solutions/pointers are greatly appreciated. 

TY,

Andy

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The immediate problem I see in the Casings, is that the "gearbox bottom sketch" is empty so there is nothing for the next extrude to "extrude"...

That said your construction sketch is a bit on the complex side. It doesn't have to be a show stopper but it's a lot easier to manage if you break it down into several sketches (easier to fix errors).
    The biggest "mistake" I see is that you made copies of your construction sketch which completely defeats the purpose of a common construction sketch. 
    You should be "deriving" in the first one in each part studio in order to do top down design like this (and/or creating several of the parts in the same part studio).
    I would recommend going through this: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/top-down-design as it should help you a lot with what you are trying to do.

Note that you don't actually have to create a version to be able to go back to any point in the history, it's all there for you to restore to but as a general rule; if things turn red, you need to stop and fix the problem or it will get worse if you keep building on top of it!
    This is the last time that sketch was good: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09422fbaff4f3d336a98fd21/v/347949e226487724b1462edc/m/17121ad548ec78b692508c25/e/03a1bada2dc43e7306e0f55e?renderMode=0&uiState=63d01463c05e4e41832bb844

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The immediate problem I see in the Casings, is that the "gearbox bottom sketch" is empty so there is nothing for the next extrude to "extrude"...

That said your construction sketch is a bit on the complex side. It doesn't have to be a show stopper but it's a lot easier to manage if you break it down into several sketches (easier to fix errors).
    The biggest "mistake" I see is that you made copies of your construction sketch which completely defeats the purpose of a common construction sketch. 
    You should be "deriving" in the first one in each part studio in order to do top down design like this (and/or creating several of the parts in the same part studio).
    I would recommend going through this: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/top-down-design as it should help you a lot with what you are trying to do.

Note that you don't actually have to create a version to be able to go back to any point in the history, it's all there for you to restore to but as a general rule; if things turn red, you need to stop and fix the problem or it will get worse if you keep building on top of it!
    This is the last time that sketch was good: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09422fbaff4f3d336a98fd21/v/347949e226487724b1462edc/m/17121ad548ec78b692508c25/e/03a1bada2dc43e7306e0f55e?renderMode=0&uiState=63d01463c05e4e41832bb844
  • andy_makerandy_maker Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much for the assistance!