Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

UK user group / edit Profile to include base country?

Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
How many other UK Onshapers are there around? I'm based in South Wales and work in Hereford.

It's interesting browsing the forum and seeing who else is on board, I get an idea of geographic area by the time of day people appear!

It would be useful to know who else is 'local', though, and we may get a UK User Group out of it.

Comments

• daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Hi Stuart,

I'm also based in South Wales and work out of Swansea University.

I posted a few months back with regards to setting up a UK User Group, but the response has been slow, hopefully as additional UK based people come on board things will start to progress.

I look forward to hearing from you.   
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Currently we are not really using the profile here in the forum but will unify the Onshape profile in the future.  For now revealing your location might be a preference but would not be on by default.  For now your best bet is to do exactly what you have done and see who responds.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    @daryntaylor , Nice website! Looks like some interesting work going on there. One of my fishing mates is studying Physics at Swansea, I'm in the process of introducing him to Onshape. Hopefully some other Brits will pop their heads above the ramparts and we can get a User Group moving. In the meantime, looks like the Welsh are leading the way again....

@lougallo , Thanks for the heads-up on future profile improvements. Forums (fora?) are always good networking places as well as being informative. Is it worth considering a link to LinkedIn?

• yudhidayakyudhidayak Member Posts: 5 EDU
    I came to this topic because I googled "UK Onshape user group". Hope we can have it soon. I'm based in Loughborough (study) and Derby (work).
    I have been using Onshape for a week now, please have a look at my first trial https://goo.gl/JS5fnA or on youtube https://youtu.be/1sCJp2Vql-E
    @yudhi_ariadi ,

Welcome to the UK Onshape users! We'll need a few more of us before it becomes viable to meet, I think. 

Would be worth a laugh or two to submit your 'viral sphere' to our sheet metal manufacturer - I'd love to see his face if he was sent a set of drawings and told to make it...nice visualization. 
    @yudhi_ariadi

Hi Yudhi, glad to hear you've recently discovered Onshape, presently, the UK community seems to be relatively small, or maybe it's just that UK users are remaining silent in this early phase. As momentum grows it would be great to get a UK user group off the ground.
    I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing your models. (I also would love to see the look on the face of the sheet metal guy, if you ever send a drawing out for your Fire Spoke Sphere :smile:).

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Hi everyone, I too am based in the UK , live in Hertfordshire. Generally here to learn about design as up to now have subcon design requirements. I too like your website Daryn . Also noticed your Linked In link. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Hall       http://www.weldingrobotics.co.uk          

Hi Peter, its good to make contact with another UK Onshaper, it seems that the UK group is beginning to grow :smile: ,as your most likely aware, the website and forum here at Onshape is a great way to learn more about design.
    LOL @Stuart_Tod and @daryntaylor
    But, you inspired me to make a modification and make it possible to join the spokes made by sheet metal (or laser cutting plastic sheet).
    Btw, I don't want to discuss the sphere further as we're on the UK user group topic :) but thanks for the comments!
    Cant wait this group is growing.

Shall we do something to promote Onshape in the UK?

Warm welcome to @peter_hall
    @peter_hall , Another welcome to the growing UK group! Swansea, Monmouth, Derby & Hertfordshire so far...
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @Stuart_Tod  and @yudhi_ariadi  and @daryntaylor
    I would join any Onshape UK user group that is set up or indeed any general Onshape user group that is set up. Maybe linkedin would be a place to set it up as well as on this forum. 
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    I love the excitement here about UK user groups. We just created a form to survey user group interest here. Please fill it out and we can better track where the interest is!

-Noa
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
    Just giving this a 'bump' to see if any more UK users come out of the woodwork....there's got to be some sort of 'critical mass' to make it worth following @noa 's link. 

@noa, is it worth changing the format of your user group form to indicate 'interest' in forming a group? Your link seems to go straight into a fully-fledged event with subjects, topics etc!

Perhaps adding our names to a 'we are interested' form would trigger a notification to us when Onshape feel there are enough users registered for it to be worth your while sending an employee along to talk to us?
  • george_peattiegeorge_peattie Member Posts: 1
    I'm also in the UK, NE England near Durham.

I just started using onshape for some personal projects, for my day job I'm a SW2014 and Creo2.0 user although I've also used SE, Inventor and older versions of ProE in the past. 

So far despite the gaps in availability of tools I'm impressed with what is there, cleaner that SW today and the interface is amazing for a web based application.

I'm missing dedicated sheet metal tools and struggling a little with assemblies, sub assemblies and the collections of parts in part studio but putting that down to not having spent enough time to have a clean work flow with the software.

Looks like it will be worth paying for.
    @george_peattie
    Hi George, welcome to the UK slice of the Onshape forum, you will have read that presently there is no "official" UK user group, but as momentum grows I'm sure we can start one. :)
    If anyone else knows anyone in the UK using or interested in Onshape, maybe as a start, they can point them in the direction of this thread.

Hi @Stuart_Tod and @daryntaylor,

We'll be working on an events page in the near future that will make this sort of thing easy to keep track of but for now, directing people to this thread is the quickest solution! UK is a big enough one that we'll create a meetup group for it soon and start collecting interested individuals that way.

More soon,
    Noa
    @noa
    Sounds good Noa, I for one will be looking forward it.  
    +1 for that, @noa
  • michael_lesliemichael_leslie Member, Mentor Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I'm UK based, i'd be interested in a UK user group.
    I'm glad there's already some interest. One of the biggest obstacles in setting up these user group meetings is finding a good venue so if any of you have ideas please let me know. We try to find professional settings with space for 50+. Locking a place down now would mean we can get it set up sooner!

Thanks,
    Noa
    @noa,

That looks like @daryntaylor ....if he's in Swansea University premises there must be some scope there! Problem being, Swansea is almost at the end of the known world. I hate to admit it, but Birmingham is the centre of the UK universe. And Derby is closer to Birmingham than anywhere else. So, @yudhi_ariadi , looks like we're coming around for tea....
  • guy_taylorguy_taylor Member Posts: 8
    Me too, Glasgow Scotland. Or Summerset. Best form of contact for me is on my youtube channel mathabation. 
    @noa @Stuart_Tod @guy_taylor @yudhi_ariadi
    I'm sure there would be scope for 50+ meeting at one of Swansea Uni's new campus's, (although I haven't made any enquiries yet), however, as noted Swansea may not prove to be the best location for a UK wide user group meeting. As more people come on board maybe we can set up some kind of poll to find out where's best. 

edited August 2015
    Hi @Stuart_Tod @daryntaylor @noa @guy_taylor
    Very welcome! If you think Derby is the closest the the centre of the UK universe, I am happy to find the room suitable for our meeting at one of Derby's campuses. 
    We may need to specify what room equipment do we need e.g. 50+ people, projector/bis screen is obvious, how about computers?
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, Sawnsea as a venue? No, sorry...back end of beyond

Derby is nice and central. Alternatively, wait until Develop3D Live next spring and do it there. I'm a fan of doing these things in tandem with other events as if you are anything like me, I can justify a day out to go to an event like Develop3D live or TCT and another event...

Another option is to get mobilised and do something useful! Ask Al Dean (he is lurking around here somewhere) about Museomix (actually just checked their website, nothing happening in UK this year). But there must be something else like it. Maybe this is something for the Develop3D guys...
    Develop3D live itself is a busy event, however, seeing as the Onshape UK user group seems, at present levels, to be a fairly modest size group of people, maybe its possible to intergrate something at that event. If Al or any of the Develop3D crew are reading these forums, hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts on this.   
    Hi @noa
    Would it be possible to share the result of this survey?
    Hi @yudhi_ariadi, people have signed up from the following locations so far:

Victoria, Australia
    Malaga, Spain
    Côtes-d'Armor, France
    England, United Kingdom
    Derby, United Kingdom
    A variety of places in the United States

-Noa
    We've now got a meetup pro account which houses all of our user groups. I just created a UK group that you can find here. I encourage you all to join! Once we have a decent number of members, we'll start thinking about setting up our first event :) 

-Noa
  • shaun_singhshaun_singh OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
    +1