Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Will there be support for a space mouse?

ThomasThomas Member Posts: 3
Because I use this thing a lot while working with my parts and assemblies.

Best Answers

Answers

• ThomasThomas Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, searched for space mouse and didn't tried 3d mouse oO
  • uwe_arztuwe_arzt Member Posts: 1
    +1 for Space Mouse support. Is there already a timeframe available?
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Should be pretty soon, but Onshape doesn't give us any dates since they want to finish things before pushing in - which we can see in very few bugs or hotfixes
    //rami
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    @cody_armstrong MAC OS support please  :)
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • clive_2clive_2 Member Posts: 1
    Hurrah love my space mouse!
  • dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    @nav Support for the 3D mouse in browsers on Macs requires implementation by 3D Connexion.  Onshape is platform independent - so when that support is provided, Onshape will work with it.  As Onshape is the first and only production CAD system that runs directly in browsers, 3D Connexion needed to develop new drivers. 3D Connexion was very pro-active in working with Onshape to both develop and beta test the Windows driver over the past several months - resulting in today's release.  They chose to provide support first for browsers on Windows as that is by far their largest market and are actively considering developing drivers for browsers on Mac.  We will forward your request to them and feel free to contact them directly with your request as well.  
    Hi @dave_c thanks a lot for your quick response if I were 3Dconnexion or other 3D mouse manufacturer I would have supported windows as well first, the best CAD programs (Until OS came along) run in windows OS not in MAC OS, makes a lot of sense. Thanks for forwarding the request to them, I`ll also contact them.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • kinsleymarkkinsleymark Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    No Mac 3D mouse support and still no good Macbook trackpad support! Us Apple users are feeling a bit left out here... :)
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I think I know what my next purchase will be... :p
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are excited to announce our integration with 3Dconnexion devices for our service. We  worked closely with our partner 3Dconnexion to make this happen.  Without getting into to full technical details, we have implemented a library to communicate with the desktop driver installation.  This allows the 3d mice to interact with the 3D view of Onshape by using the installed driver.  Currently this is only supported in the Windows version of the driver.  

Although there are versions of 3DWare 10 that work on other operating systems, this special library has not yet been implemented in non-Windows driver versions.  If you would like support for these operating systems, please let 3Dconnexion know by contacting their support group to help them measure interest.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Bluetooth capability seems like such a no-brainer for me.  Tablets and phones may very well be our Onshape devices full time in the future.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2015
    @pete_yodis Do you remember cadcontrol?  Used your iOS device as a 3d control for various CAD tools?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    edited August 2015
    @lougallo I hadn't heard of it.  Interesting.  I like where MSF is going with continuum for phones.  There are rumors of an Intel based phone from MSFT next year.  Intel also has a 3D camera that can do scanning.  I think it's important for Augmented Reality realm, but also could capture 3D information.  My thinking for a killer device would be this Intel based phone capable of running full Windows 10 with a 3D camera.  With Continuum you could connect up to large displays either via mira cast or USBc.  If that were all the case, then I would really like to have bluetooth support from 3D motion controllers such that all I need is my phone and motion controllers on the go, and large displays at my desk and a full keyboard.  3D scanning of objects would be the cat's meow.  Scan an object, upload to Onshape, model away.. All on the same device.  Of course, I would probably also have a more serious device for more horsepower... but the point being a phone could really get me a very long way... And without needing an app - just the browser.
    edited August 2015
    I think I know what my next purchase will be... :p
    Mac?  ;)

I feel like I got my left hand back with 3dconnexion support.. it is just so natural way of turning and zooming at the same time when mouse travels for tools & selections
    //rami
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Yippee!! My 3DConnexion Mobile Mouse now works with Onshape!!  

Thanks everyone at OS and 3DConnection, for the effort put in.

I downloaded and installed the latest 3DConnexion driver for my Win7 based Dell M4800 Workstation.  All progressed and installed seamlessly and smoothly.

I now don't feel like my left hand is cut off!!

I also tested the recently added hole feature.  It took me a while to work out that I needed to position a point in a sketch before adding the hole.  Different from Solidworks where I position holes first, then constrain them.
  • MaruMaru OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
    What's the limitation on using the 3dConnexion with OS X currently?  I've seen remarks that this isn't working, and also tried myself.   I'm able to emulate button clicks through the device in chrome, but curious why the 3d movements can't be translated over as well?  Someone posted that this is a limitation on the driver side, is there a best point of contact there to follow up with on this so they know it's something we're interested in seeing?  
    Hi @brian_17 currently a sad MAC 3D connexion mouse user, mine is in a drawer at the moment, I got this answer from dave_c from OS

@nav Support for the 3D mouse in browsers on Macs requires implementation by 3D Connexion.  Onshape is platform independent - so when that support is provided, Onshape will work with it.  As Onshape is the first and only production CAD system that runs directly in browsers, 3D Connexion needed to develop new drivers. 3D Connexion was very pro-active in working with Onshape to both develop and beta test the Windows driver over the past several months - resulting in today's release.  They chose to provide support first for browsers on Windows as that is by far their largest market and are actively considering developing drivers for browsers on Mac.  We will forward your request to them and feel free to contact them directly with your request as well.   

I wrote 3DConnexion as suggested by Dave.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • MaruMaru OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
    Thanks @nav !
    "Yippee!! My 3DConnexion Mobile Mouse now works with Onshape!!  

Thanks everyone at OS and 3DConnection, for the effort put in.

I downloaded and installed the latest 3DConnexion driver for my Win7 based Dell M4800 Workstation.  All progressed and installed seamlessly and smoothly.

I now don't feel like my left hand is cut off!!"

I spoke 24 hours too soon.  Today my 3DConnexion Mouse just zooms in and out (very jerkily).  It works fine with Solidworks.  I rebooted to no effect.

Has something changed overnight?

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @chrisjh777,

Can you try closing out your browser and re-opening it?  In my experience the jerky navigation meant the driver couldn't find focus on the client and needed to be reset.  The other thing I try is to stop the driver and then start the driver again.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • simon_9simon_9 Member Posts: 17
    I also downloaded the new driver and now get a pop-up error : "3DxNIServer has stopped working". I spoke to 3D connexion this morning and they have not seen this as an error. The problem even is 'BEX', exception code c0000417 which apparently means that a message to/from (?) the mouse cannot be intepreted correctly...
    And the mouse works in the demo window.
    and I only get zoom in/zoom out on OS - which I could get before.
    Using Nvidia GeoForce GT640, fully up to date, Win7 pro, and Firefox if any of this is relevant.

Anyone else seeing a similar problem or am I the only one?
    I have seen some problems sometimes when leave browser open for many days. But when I try another browser with fresh start, it's been working fine.
    //rami
    @chrisjh777,

Can you try closing out your browser and re-opening it?  In my experience the jerky navigation meant the driver couldn't find focus on the client and needed to be reset.  The other thing I try is to stop the driver and then start the driver again.
    OK,  

I tried opening and closing my Chrome Browser, Rebooting the computer, stopping and staring the driver, and a total reinstall of the driver.

All to no avail.  Still works fine in Solidworks.
  • simon_9simon_9 Member Posts: 17
    3dcad said:
    I have seen some problems sometimes when leave browser open for many days. But when I try another browser with fresh start, it's been working fine.
    My browser gets closed frequently so this isn't the problem. 
    I have uninstalled, re-installed the new driver with exactly the same result - nothing!
    Stopping the driver and restarting it gives the "3DxNIServer has stopped working" error mentioned above.
    Looking at the 'real' drivers through the Device Manager shows everything fully working - apparently.

Any suggestions? I have no other browsers available since OS doesn't work on my Opera 12.x (well I think its a webGL issue).
    Simon
  • duane_1duane_1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I'm also unable to get the 3DConnexion to work, in Firefox.   It did work when changed over IE browser.
    Uninstalled the 3DConnexion  drives, reloaded them, updated Firefox and still cannot get the space mouse work.
    Using Window 8 64bit.
    Are there some settings in Firefox that have to be adjusted?

I didn't do anything other than install drivers and it instantly begin working in both Firefox and Chrome.
    My setup was w8.1 + newest ff/chrome --> updated to w10; 3d mouse working fine before and after.
    //rami
    For some reason it is not taking.  While in OS only the zoom action is functioning.