Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape and 3D mouses

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
While using Onshape, I'm starting to notice how much my 3D mouses (SpaceNavigator & SpaceMouse Pro) have become a natural attachment of my left hand. Sometimes it's really frustrating not being able to use it, while I can use it in 100% of the desktop apps that I use.

Is there any chance Onshape will be able to "catch" a 3D mouse's input?
Is Onshape working on thin clients (like the iOS apps) to deal with these sort of issues?

Dries

Best Answers

Answers

• rtdupreertdupree OS Professional Posts: 8
    Any updates on using 3D mice?

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Tom We are working on it.  I will post when something changes.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thanks for the update - I imagine it's a pretty involved process trying to make them work.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Tom said:
    Thanks for the update - I imagine it's a pretty involved process trying to make them work.
    Especially since most applications just use the installed drivers.  We need to figure out how to make them work in a browser app and not need a plugin.  I think recognizing the device like Google's recent implementation of the FIDO secure key, which needed drivers and now just works via Chrome (http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2014/10/strengthening-2-step-verification-with.html).  I think being able to do something in our app that can initialize these types of hardware will be very cool.  I would love to make one work on my Chromebook!  
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Dries this is actually in the schedule to be worked on.  Not right now but it is in the schedule.  We've had a surprisingly large number of requests so we've upped the priority.  And we have great contacts with Mark Driscoll and his team at 3Dconnexion.
  • florinflorin Member Posts: 4
    3D Connexion devices, how to connect them?
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Currently you cannot. I have been told that it is coming in future releases though.
  • murray_1murray_1 Member Posts: 19
    Me too please. I'm feeling lost without my 3D mouse. Google Earth works with them, so it's not just CAD applications.
    Its funny just how dependent you can become once you start using a 3D mouse...

I did a lot of CAD in KeyCreator at an internship; and during one of my rotations there was an update and all 3D mouse functionality had been removed. I called support to ask about it, and they said they had intentionally removed the functionality, but were going to bring it back after so many people had called to complain. They (KeyCreator) said they had no idea just how many of their customers were using 3D mice until they had pulled the plug on supporting them. I got a good kick out of hearing that.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for 3Dconnexion support request
    //rami
  • spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    Add one to the request vote please.  I had a 3Dconnexion before, but sold it fairly new as I just wasn't using the CAD program much. With Onshape I can see that changing (I might start enjoying CAD) so it (3Dconnexion) is already back on my Amazon wish list, waiting for Onshape support.
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
  • larlar Member Posts: 4
    Please add soon, as a 20 year CAD vet the 3D mouse is my left hand and as a recent Onshaper I'm feeling a handicap without it. THANKS!
  • SamSam Member Posts: 3
    To add to what Lar said - My SpacePilot is my left hand in SolidWorks - I feel like I'm modelling blindfolded! If one more vote helps, add mine.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I wish the new 3D Connexion CAD mouse was bluetooth so it would work with tablets on the go - and eventually phones connected to large displays, and then augmented reality devices :)
  • jgpwarlordjgpwarlord Member Posts: 1
    Please add me to the request vote.
  • david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Add me also
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • david_1david_1 Member Posts: 1
    add me to the request vote.
  • Alan BAlan B Member Posts: 4
    +1 for 3D connexion support
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for 3D mouse support

• Alex_57Alex_57 Member Posts: 2
    My 3Dconnexion manages to do the zoom and nothing else.  Please add me to the requests list.  Many thanks.
  • steven_buxtonsteven_buxton OS Professional Posts: 6 PRO
    +1
  • idahomattidahomatt Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the +1ers list of people wanting 3Dconnexion support. As someone already said, it is surprising how handicapped I feel without it.
    Thanks,
    M@
  • kristofferkristoffer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I'm a linux user and I run Onshape for that specific reason. I also use a 3dconnexion 3d mouse and I would also like to see this work in all OS'es.

ps. 1+ for 3d mouse support.
    @Kristoffer Probably not.  3D Connexion would need to support the driver on the platform. 
  • Tom McKassonTom McKasson Member Posts: 1
    It's been very interesting to see the huge amount of demand for 3d mouse support.  We were already planning to support it, but now even more urgency based on your many requests.  As we've mentioned before, we are very close to Mark Driscoll and the 3d Connexion team.  Btw anyone try their new cad mouse?

I jumped on the CAD Mouse when they first started shipping, having a geniune middle mouse button, along with a really good scroll wheel (with very nice "feel" and balistics) rounds out "ease of use" for CAD.  The marker menu pop up is a nice feature too.  When used with a SpaceMouse it makes for a terrific view and control experience, looking forward to "having it all" in OnShape!
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    Yikes! I was just about to order a 3Dconnexion 3d mouse for my mac to drive onshape - good thing I checked. This is a deal breaker for me after 20 or so years of seamless 3d ball control of solidworks. And I REALLY want to switch to onshape so I can dump my windows box, and the now creaky sw interface.

+1 for me too.

And thanks for a, so far, great CAD package - a real leap forward.
  • srbhsrbh Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Include me also.
  • chris_167chris_167 Member Posts: 4
    This is how my first look at this went:

1. beta invite
    2. create document
    3. move 3D mouse
    4. frowny face

I can't think of any browser apps that can currently do this without anything installed, could be tricky. I don't think a browser plugin for the people that wanted this would be unreasonable though. I'd rather have that than nothing.