Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing Sheets Management.

robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 27 PRO
How do you guys go about producing your drawing sheets?

If it's a quick inhouse job I don't mind using one drawings tab with multiple sheets as i'm not outsourcing or critical drawing sheet numbers etc.

However for a critical job with parts outsources need good unique drawing numbers and their own revision, I end up with only sheet per drawing tab for single part drawings.

Feel it's a little lacking on the drawing sheet management side?  
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    I would personally go with multi-sheet drawings simply due to ease of management naming overview and navigation. As far as I know it is not possible to transition between the two (yet). You're not alone in having this issue: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/84878#Comment_84878

Also upvoting this improvement request will help:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15901/drawing-sheets-split-merge-move-between-drawing-tabs

As for drawing numbers I don't have much experience but I would not give the drawings themselves part numbers but just give them the same name as the part they are referencing plus some additional context such as top view, inside view, etc. This should make it much easier to talk about your part without having to reference and remember a part number. The part number should be on the drawing itself anyways. You can also look into some discussions about part publishing, this should help especially if you're sharing your part documents with your suppliers.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    One drawing tab to reference one item.  If more then one item is detailed in a multi page drawing, I feel it should only be as convenient for a customer or the fabrication team to get a feel for the whole picture all at once.  I feel a fully detailed drawing should still be made dedicated only to one part number.  It gets confusing when you see a bom listing a part number and then type it into a search, and nothing shows up.  No one usually remembers the drawing for the item in question is contained as a package in some other drawing tab.  I thinks that's what publications are for.  And when a single part ends up getting used in multiple unrelated assemblies, it would not make sense to duplicate the drawing views into each assembly drawing.  I have gone back and forth on this many times and feel there is much greater stability in the data management this way and is more straightforward in knowing you will not have some surprise extra searching work or copy and pasting work in the future.  Or just complete having to recreate cause you couldn't find what you are certain exists.
  • Options
    robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 27 PRO
    @wout_theelen541 @shawn_crocker

Thanks guys, Have upvoted on the improvement request.

Yes I agree with avoiding multi sheet drawing in terms of page "1 of 15" etc. From previous background in structural drafting all pages had their own drawing number even if views were spread across multiple pages. Even if just a measurement or note was added/changed on the drawing that one sheet was reved up.

Hopefully more power gets added to the drawing sheets list, it's a little awkward managing so many tabs, but I guess just use the tab manager more.

Next I'd like to get rid of the item number column on the BOM and only refer to part numbers. 

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    edited March 2023
    @wout_theelen541 @shawn_crocker

Thanks guys, Have upvoted on the improvement request.

Yes I agree with avoiding multi sheet drawing in terms of page "1 of 15" etc. From previous background in structural drafting all pages had their own drawing number even if views were spread across multiple pages. Even if just a measurement or note was added/changed on the drawing that one sheet was reved up.

Hopefully more power gets added to the drawing sheets list, it's a little awkward managing so many tabs, but I guess just use the tab manager more.

Next I'd like to get rid of the item number column on the BOM and only refer to part numbers. 

Last year had a ton of drawing improvements so I'm sure managing all these new drawings is up there in the backlog.
    Funny you should mention getting rid of item numbers...
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/20295/bom-scroll-bar#latest