Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Switch from Beam feature to Frame feature and preserve body ID's?

Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
Long ago, I used the Beam feature to configure an 8020 extrusion.  I can configure the profile, the length, and the machining on the ends.  I have mate connectors whos positions change to stay in the expected mating locations when the configuration changes.  The part number and description is configured to indicate the profile and what machining codes the member has.  I have many hours into configuring this extrusion and it is used in countless assemblies.

As I continue to try to improve this part studio, I am finding that there legacy Beam feature has some drawbacks, such as there being different reference points for different profiles.  The Frame feature seems to be built better.  I am wondering if there is any possible way to make my extrusion with the Frame feature instead of the Beam feature and preserve the body ID.  I have a lot of references to this part that I don't want to lose.  Please help.  Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    After a little further consideration, I'm not sure if I really do favor the Frame feature over the Beam feature.  The Beam feature includes more valuable functionality.  The only thing I don't really like about it is its library of profiles.  Maybe what I need to do is reference the Frame profiles in my Beam feature.  That would preserve my references.  I'm not sure how to I can access the Frame profiles from the Beam feature though.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    edited March 2023
    Just tried to add the frame library and it didn't work. The only thing you can do is make a profile library yourself or this might help:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5c4569eab680013076a18190/w/8f3d16b6a6f56f55932b7de2/e/968f01346a7e7d69a079b269 (this was created before configurations were available, hence long list of profiles).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Just tried to add the frame library and it didn't work. The only thing you can do is make a profile library yourself or this might help:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5c4569eab680013076a18190/w/8f3d16b6a6f56f55932b7de2/e/968f01346a7e7d69a079b269 (this was created before configurations were available, hence long list of profiles).
    Thanks for trying to add the Frame library.  Do you know of a way I might be able to use the Frame library to create my own library?