Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Detail View Feature

navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Drawings
It would really help a lot when dimensioning small features in a view to have a tool that will allow us to create detailed views and dimensions on those views. 

EDIT: Have not seen this post already requested https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1229/detail-view#latest Sorry
Nicolas Ariza V.
Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    +1
  • bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    @nav @da_vicki @traveler_hauptman - Yes, details views are very important.  Stay tuned...
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    +1
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Perhaps each of you can help us figure out some of the details of detail views (I didn't intend a pun there :) ). 
    Standards and conventions seem to have changed a lot over the years as far as:
    • the shape of the boundary on both the parent and detailed views (not just circles anymore!),

• the line type of the boundary line, (solid, dashed, dotted)

• whether a boundary line is shown at all on the detailed view, and

• the wording and location of the note (as in your example) "See Detail E" (sometimes just has "Detail E" or just "E";  sometimes attached by leader, sometimes between arrows in gap in boundary).

What do you use for each of these?  What do you see in most common usage today? 
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I usually use a leader to connect the parent view to the detail view, and in some contexts (eg if there are dozens or scores of views, or if the detail views are to assist interpretation rather than convey dimensional info) will occasionally omit the label altogether.
    I usually show the detail boundary (circular or otherwise) but not always, depending on context.
    My boundaries are usually circles or ellipses, but occasionally irregular splines or polylines.
    It would be good to have separate control over display vs non-display of the boundary at either end (parent view or detail view)
    It's also good to be able to add text to the View Label.
    It would also be useful (but only very occasionally) to be able to show a different configuration from the parent on the detail view: this can be an economical way of showing a small group of features which are the only distinguishing feature of an otherwise identical part.  
    Scale, naturally, should be parametrically linked, exact wording optional.
    @jon_mcintyre

I like all of these options. but in your looking for a simplified choice I'll start.

There are many shapes that I would need to suit a particular drawing environment. My preference would be to be able to sketch a desired shape and use that geometry chain. We cannot create a sketch yet so for simplicity and having the ability to create a detail view ASAP I would be satisfied with the basic circle for now.

I don't know what or if there is a standard for the boundary line. If there is no standard I would prefer a dashed line, If a standard exists then I would most definitely would prefer the standard.

I'm indecisive about showing the boundary line on the detail view I would like an option but If choosing I would prefer not to have it.

In defining the view I would prefer to just have the letter attached by a leader as the best option. Below the actual detail view I would prefer "DETAIL E". While on the subject below the section views I would prefer "SECTION E-E" instead of the current "E-E".

Appears I was second @andrew_troup slipped in 1st as I was typing. :o
  • guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    Defenetly - detail view is missing
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    • the shape of the boundary on both the parent and detailed views (not just circles anymore!),

I have found myself using a rectangle more than circle since it usually fits better in drawing layout

While waiting for editable layers, dashed would be my choice.
    • whether a boundary line is shown at all on the detailed view

I would prefer boundaries visible as default but it would be nice if I could simply select & delete if needed
    • the wording and location of the note (as in your example) "See Detail E" (sometimes just has "Detail E" or just "E";  sometimes attached by leader, sometimes between arrows in gap in boundary).

This is something that I would certainly would prefer editable / removable. If detail is close to original I tend to delete the text as it's clear what it is and text only make things messy. If I have 5 detail views for one model in same page I would prefer just A, B, C... but in most cases I would use "Detail E" -text.

//rami
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps each of you can help us figure out some of the details of detail views (I didn't intend a pun there :) ). 
    Standards and conventions seem to have changed a lot over the years as far as:

Needs to be any closed shape

Needs to be any user defined line type.

• whether a boundary line is shown at all on the detailed view, and

Needs to be user defined option

Again, needs to be user defined option

What do you use for each of these?  What do you see in most common usage today? 

We use all the above depending on job, drawing, application. Hence why user defined for all is needed.

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Also need to have details and section views placed onto different sheets from the  reference view. Plenty of Autocad people do this especially when rescaling drawing sets to smaller page sizes(which are often used for site work or archival).
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Thanks Kevin and everyone.  This is great feedback.