Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

offset a spline

bikr7549bikr7549 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hello,
I am working on making a model for a kids puzzle to 3D print, tracing over a cartoon figure jpeg imported into a sketch. To make the individual puzzle pieces that lock together I planned on making a spline for each part in a sketch and then in another sketch (in a new part) offset the shape of the previous part by some small amount (.50 mm) to create the fit of the joint. But I cannot offset the previous sketch's spline, I get the error 'offset failed, one spline generated multiple offset curves'. Is it not possible to offset a sketched spline?

Bob

Comments

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 273
    Do you need to offset the splines in a sketch? I think this will be easier if you extrude the parts first, then use the Move face feature on the side faces. Like so:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/76e00336c0da13abcb99de5a/w/2b54a58cb5ca3bfddaa9df1b/e/2bdef804559c38ba4c57062b
  • Options
    Excellent Anton, this works perfectly, thank you! I had to experiment a bit to figure out how to use it, but it does exactly what I need to do.
  • Options
    and, including the example model was a big help to figure this out. Words may have done it, but the model made this much simpler.
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 273
    And protip: switch to side view and box-select (right to left) to select all the side faces at once into the move face feature.
  • Options
    paul_scott083paul_scott083 Member Posts: 2
    OMG this feature is ace... thank you
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited April 1
    @bikr7549
    I was curious if it could be done using Extrude Thin, with the Remove boolean operator!   Why yes it can... as long as you're judicious with the merge scope of each Extrude Remove operation.

1) All splines are in a single sketch (upper right pic)
    2) Extruded the solid rectangle first (lower right pic)
    3) Extrude Thin with Remove operator using a single spline (lower left pic)
    4) Repeat until all splines are "removed" (upper left pic)