Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

User-Defined Properties

Jim_AndersJim_Anders Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Data management
Is there a way (or a way planned) to create user-defined properties that are extractable?   I am thinking about things like...

Assigning components unique ID numbers/names that correspond to reference designators in a P&ID diagram.  Also, it would be useful in addition to having the option (which we have in OS currently) to have these data static (like a vendor part number that never changes regardless of how many instances are created) but also dynamic.

Dynamic would be having the ability to change the data for an instance but not having it change all instances.  Example...

I've added 10 valves to my assembly.  These valves are all the same and share the same static data like part number, vendor, etc.  But then I can go in and add/change/edit a field like "Device Address" and enter a unique identifier (i.e. A-102, A-104, A-123...) for each of the 10 valves.

SolidWorks and most 3D CAD systems can't do this.  AutoCAD can.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited November 2014
    @Jim_Anders I am assuming you found the properties in Documents, Parts and Assemblies..  With that said, BOM management and other needed metadata related functions are also on the radar.  I have see this in Autocad with Blocks but most parametric CAD tools are single point references and many would use configurations to address this for assemblies in SolidWorks.  Configurations/Varients are also on the radar and being thought about for OS in the future.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Hi @Jim_Anders‌ ,  we will definitely be adding more data management capability moving forward.  And yes, we will also be adding custom (user defined) properties as well.  The idea of "instance based"  properties is an interesting one.

I  have used "instance based (or instance specific)" properties in the past for board level (PCB) design but don't often see it in mechanical design, perhaps because mech instances don't (generally) vary too much in application.

It sounds like you are using the existing Onshape capabilities for setting part#, descr, etc.  Can you tell us a little about how that is working, what you like or don't like?  Are you saving versions"?

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Jim_AndersJim_Anders Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Steve - it's been my experience that more and more electro-mechanical or pneumatic/hydraulic mechanical components have unique identifiers that can be extracted. Whether it's for connectivity/routing info or controls integration.  I will have more to add shortly.

Here's a little write-up I did on an early attempt of using Component Reference IDs in SolidWorks.  Kinda worked but were limited to only one ID number.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @SteveHess and @Jim_Anders I would advocate Onshape having the ability to fully support reference identifiers (instance based or instance specific properties is what I think you speak of) so that full compliance with PCB assemblies could have the hooks in place.  I have been advocating that Onshape seriously look at becoming a one stop shop for Electrical and Mechanical Design.  Merging the tools together would truly provide something really collaborative for multi-disciplined products.  This would be no small task indeed, but it would place Onshape firmly ahead of any tool out there - and would garner a lot of interest from Electrical designers.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited November 2014
    @Jim_Anders‌ @PDY‌ Thanks guys, I wrote an improvement for reference designator (ref-des) level properties/metadata and created issues so you both will be notified on future activity.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @SteveHess Thanks for putting in the improvement for this.  It would be nice to have the hooks in place - keeping my dream alive.  One tool, one location for data, easy setup and collaboration....awesome.