Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror

imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
I'm probably missing something here, but is there a method of mirroring components in an assembly?
ie with the choice of just a mirrored placement and/or creating a mirrored component?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Answer ✓
    At this time we do not have mirroring of components in assembly. As a workaround you can mirror the parts in part studio and insert both the original and mirrored part into the assembly

Answers

• Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Answer ✓
    At this time we do not have mirroring of components in assembly. As a workaround you can mirror the parts in part studio and insert both the original and mirrored part into the assembly
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Just want to illustrate how amazing is OS once you understand the Multipart feature. I must say is faster than in Solid Works based on a video I just found... 5 minutes to mirror in an assembly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-c_LZGYr8

Onshape 40 seconds..

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree @nav (you didn't post the link, btw, but I think I know the video you mean)

A lot of queries on this forum arise from a 'business as usual ' assumption about the purpose of Onshape assemblies.

The only "assembly mirror" facility which would make sense to me, if Onshape was being used as designed, would be a dynamic one, for positioning two elements so that they moved symmetrically about a specified plane. Say, for modelling a crowding mechanism, or a self-centering vice.

Onshape Assemblies are for adding motion, not for positioning static items 

> Rant Mode OFF

• Options
    Thanks @andrew_troup on edit it took 20 second more, I forgot to modify the mirrored part as they do in the SW video. We have to change indeed the way we think about how assemblies are performed in OS, is pretty unique and I don`t blame other guys here still doing each part on a separate studio and then assembling each part, its how most CAD packages work, I was lucky perhaps I don`t get to use our CAD package at the office at all, too corporate now...so for me it was easy to adopt OS workflow.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @nav,

As part of getting the mirror plane, selecting a linear edge for mid-plane works as well.  It will make a plane that is normal to the edge that is in the middle of it.  That way you didn't need to rotate to the other side to select the other face.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Thanks @jakeramsley didn't know that 5 seconds less  :)
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Nice. In Alibre I tend to create lh / rh configurations and just select which one to use in assembly.

But as @andrew_troup pointed out I would need assembly mirror for keeping mirrored position for these lh / rh parts. 
    //rami
  • Options
    imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    This is probably a better description of what I was taking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZZNGAAzQzs
    Copies & creates the mirrored components all in one hit. (not just mirrored placements)
  • Options
    Hi @imagineered you can do this in OS parts studio if all your assembly was drawn there, when you mirror a part(s) you can choose to create new ones (copies), add /Subtract/Intersect. If you have a specific problem in your model regarding this feature and you don`t have any IP issues share your model with the community you`ll probably get a lot of good input and nice workarounds from the guys here.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
  • Options
    florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I am a beginner with OS and I find a few features that would be very helpful, which the OS and the community dismisses.
    For one I'd like to have the ability to group in Part Studios. But this is another discussion.

The mirroring in an Assembly I have just found that it would be useful in the next situation: I have created a bunch of parts that are basically just mirrors of a few "master" parts in the parts studio. I then realized that later on in the design I'll have to import the structure in an assembly anyway so I would have liked all parts to be mated so I can't accidentally move them the way they are not supposed to be moved.

So I imported all in an assembly and started mating the "master" structures. All nice and dandy. Now somehow I wish the mirrored structures would somehow just inherit the mating from the original ones. Instead, I have to mate again and again every mirror, which is time consuming and inefficient.

How would you do this from a design intent pov in an time-efficient manner? 
  • Options
    VexFXVexFX Member Posts: 1
    It's 2017 now, can we finally have the ability to mirror an assembly?  The assembly I want to mirror is made of many parts, from different part studios, all with complex mating relationships and constraints setup.   I really hate that I have hours of work ahead of me to perform a simple task that should be accounted for by default.  All I want is to flip an assembly horizontally, something I've never had difficulty with in other CAD applications.  Very disappointed that this has gone _years_ without being addressed when it's something that should have been included day 1.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited May 2017
    Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I do not have a solution to mirroring your mating scheme, but I hope I can make the geometry creation aspect of your mirror easier.  To create mirrored geometry in an assembly you can do the following:

1. Right click on the origin of the assembly and click "Create Part Studio in context", then click the green check box. You will automatically be switched to this new Part Studio
    2. Create a Plane in this new part studio that you would like to mirror across.
    3. Use the mirror feature in the part studio to mirror all the parts you want across the mirror plane.
    4. Click "Insert and go to assembly" at the top of the graphics area.
    5. Select all the parts in the part list and press the green check box.

Hopefully this makes your life a little easier at least on the geometry creation front. If you would like to see the Assembly Mirror implemented please vote on an improvement request such as this one or similar:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5763/mirror-feature-for-assembly-workflow
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    jannie_smaljannie_smal Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I do not have a solution to mirroring your mating scheme, but I hope I can make the geometry creation aspect of your mirror easier.  To create mirrored geometry in an assembly you can do the following:

1. Right click on the origin of the assembly and click "Create Part Studio in context", then click the green check box. You will automatically be switched to this new Part Studio
    3. Use the mirror feature in the part studio to mirror all the parts you want across the mirror plane.

Hopefully this makes your life a little easier at least on the geometry creation front. If you would like to see the Assembly Mirror implemented please vote on an improvement request such as this one or similar:

• Options
    jannie_smaljannie_smal Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Hi Chris,

Yes, this makes life much easier.

In the assembly, you then just Group the "new" parts with 1 of the other parts and it is fixed.

Thank you