Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - October 13th, 2023

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 211
    .... without losing the template. Currently, if you try to adjust the hole depth, it changes away from tapped NPT....
    More changes to Hole coming soon to a toolbar near you.
    Support & QA
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:

https://youtu.be/h2cV3EdhN3s

PD: I love the improvements in the drawings.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 36 PRO
    Great job. Realy like the hole update and as always the drawing updates.
  • Options
    AAIvarAAIvar Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Great update to the hole feature. Hope to see visual representation of threads soon. Using a different color for threaded features for now.
  • Options
    JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Wow, such a great update, so many useful features!

I simply love correcting the Diameter dimension feature so it does not continue with extra vertical line below the text. Such useful update for making drawing more clear and uncluttered. 
    Renaming Hole feature based on actual hole parameters is another quality improvement to keep better track of different holes and keep the Feature list more tidy.
    Using Z-Datum in MC as a reference for Bridging curve is really cool.
    Resize is just awesome, now I don't need to zoom out to see the extra options while selected several features.

What I would like to see added is attaching to extension lines enlarged. It will definitely help with placement of Surface finish symbols. Currently the snapping works only for Dimensions, but I would find it very useful also for extension lines from Datums, Geometric tolerance or Hole Callout.
  • Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 208 EDU
    Still a huge gap to catch up with the market leaders. It is super hard to convince my fellows when onshape lacks of basic CAD features. After all those years in the CAD Market I think it is time to put an extra effort and close the gap to get a mature CAD System. I am super convinced that the onshape datamanagement is the way we work in future. There is nothing comparable on the market.
    OK, but what are the features that are missing?  Which Improvement requests do we need to pile on?
  • Options
    paolo_ciancipaolo_cianci Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    In the holes, isn't it possible to rename "thru" to "passante" (Italian)? maybe with featurescript (#featureName)?
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paolo_cianci I don't think so.
    You could create a copy of the Hole FeatureScript code, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. The reason is that you would have to update that FeatureScript every time there are changes in Onshape updates
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Philip_Thomas_PTCPhilip_Thomas_PTC Member Posts: 9
    @philip_thomas, @Ste_Wilson
    Don't get me wrong. I appreciate every update, every 3 weeks. 
    However I don't agree that those features within the last couple of updates are "huge" or "wow". It is just something almost every mature CAD system out there can do. 
    I'm probably one of the biggest fans of onshapes new data management paradigms. It is a real game changer. However, despite of this unique feature most of old school CAD Users are afraid of changing their beloved fully functional CAD System. And reading the list of feature requirements (available in other CAD), I think there is quite a lot of work ahead. 
    My personal favourites would be: 
    • A modern model based definition (MBD, PMI) concept. 
    • Sharing capabilities of a single MBD model (no need for publications). Machine readable at least by onshape CAM and MasterCAM. One day we need to get rid of this old fashioned drawing approach. And onshape offers the best possible platform for it so far.
    • Professional mold design tools. Onshape offers such a good multipart studio. So mold design would be amazing within this environment.
    • Simulation of mold flow and warping
    • Inspection tools (based on MBD).
    • Tools for tolerance analysis (based on MBD)
    • Electrical and mechanical routing (wires and pipes)
    • etc..

you see...there is no time to slow down. It is a lot of work ahead. 
    Thank you for taking the time to compose a thoughtful helpful answer and in return, I will happily provide feedback.
    While nothing here is a commitment of any sort, in reading your list I can confidently say that we absolutely understand the need for MBD for all of design, documentation, manufacturing, inspection and sharing. Like all things Onshape - you will see functionality as it becomes available and passes QA. Your comments about (IM) simulation, Inspection and 3D routed systems are also noted and yes, all are on our radar - you are already seeing some of those fruits with public outings of the upcoming CAM studio. If would be reasonable that over time you would see other 'studios' (joining CAM, Rendering and PCB studios).
    Thank you for your continued support of Onshape.
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    @philip_thomas thanks for your reply. Appreciate. I see you are doing progress. Keep pushing hard. Onshape is the real deal in future. 

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bingo Time @john_mcclary !
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Since Onshape hasn't updated the status of the IR "Hole Feature Renames its self"
    I just made it Yellow, as a pending status. Once it Turns Green it will be an official square.

• Options
    kate_leipold_ritkate_leipold_rit Member Posts: 36 EDU
    Can we update old holes to rename with the new names? 
  • Options
    Probably not... I think that's just the way Onshape works.

When I've written some featureScripts there are certain things that won't update until you delete / re-create the feature under the new version.
    The feature name is one of those things.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    edited November 2023
    @kate_leipold_rit, @glen_dewsbury

I just found out that if delete the name it will "auto-name" itself, and if you edit again, the name is set to "#featureName" so you can also rename it to that to set the name to "automatic".

I tried some other features and they just show up as "?" when set to "#featureName", I'm guessing there is a way to write a feature so that it auto-names itself that way... Some of the FS gurus out there should look into it ;)
  • Options

I just found out that if delete the name it will "auto-name" itself, and if you edit again, the name is set to "#featureName" so you can also rename it to that to set the name to "automatic".

I tried some other features and they just show up as "?" when set to "#featureName", I'm guessing there is a way to write a feature so that it auto-names itself that way... Some of the FS gurus out there should look into it ;)
    Oh, nice, I never knew that
  • Options
     :'(
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    edited November 2023

• Options

LMFAO
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    It's sad how obdsesed I am with these updates :tongue:
    Take your time onshape crew. We can wait another week or more if we need to.
    Updates are alwayd Gold
  • Options
    kate_leipold_ritkate_leipold_rit Member Posts: 36 EDU

I only get the ? with the #featureName.  When I delete the name, it renames it to be Hole 2.  Hrm. 
  • Options
    I only get the ? with the #featureName.  When I delete the name, it renames it to be Hole 2.  Hrm. 
    That seems odd... Are you sure the document has been updated to the latest version? Does a new hole feature in the same document get named according the new scheme?