Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why Doesn't my Variable Studio work in this document assembly and part studio??

paul_bartlettpaul_bartlett Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
I have tried to make this work several times but its just not seeing it. I must be missing something. I'm working on a desktop computer.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e3aa08c3a81094e04655bb9/w/c7595b120fd1cc04231cd04e/e/f858782cd65b10a87dfd3315

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,440
    You have to insert the table into the Part Studio (see tab on right of screen).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    This check box in the variable studio will let all part studios and assemblies see the list.

• Options
    I have tried the insert variable table but still nothing works when I change the values. Starting to feel a little stupid here.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e3aa08c3a81094e04655bb9/w/c7595b120fd1cc04231cd04e/e/749e4ac85a7cc43a4872e772
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 296
    edited October 2023
    (Before you deleted the Variable Studio) the Part Studio had its own local variables that were overriding the ones imported from the Variable Studio. Delete the variable features.

For reference, if you look at an overridden variable in the variable table, you'll see an info icon that points this out.
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    @paul_bartlett
    Hey Paul. This may be a little confusing I realize since there are 2 or more lists available to you. As many variable studios can be created as needed and can be available through any part studio/assembly.

When you add variables directly in a part studio they are in the feature list and will display when you ask to see variable table. This is a good way to see all variables added to your feature tree in one place without searching through an extended feature list.

There is an other way to accomplish this through he use of a separate "variable studio" which will also display when you ask to see variable table. I chose this method because it is also available when in an assembly. See "Hello Variable Studio" from inside the assembly.

Each method has it's advantages. In this example changes to "Hello Variable Studio" will show through while working in the assembly as the part studio is updated. Note that only one of these parts is updated while in this assembly since some of the variables are local to part studio 1.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9336c6b64bbd03c49cf1dc6e/w/29473ede6a8f6e7ad8f7e34c/e/7f8c70364a03ed5567a513ea

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the great help. This is a great group and it has never failed me.