Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Solidworks to Onshape

Niklas_RyanNiklas_Ryan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
I have been impressed so far with the ease of moving some of my Solidworks files into Onshape. You can tell they have put in the work to make it painless as possible.

I’m still doing some testing but I’m feeling more comfortable with it by the day.

I believe the biggest chore will be getting part numbers nailed down.

With that being said, does anyone have any lessons they learned along the way or helpful tips when migrating legacy CAD files into Onshape?

Answers

• Options
    Konst_ShKonst_Sh Member Posts: 43 PRO
    There is an app in Onshape appstore that will translate all the metadata of SW files to Onshape properties:

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,022 PRO
    I think you're going to find that OS can truly get the job done. Part numbers is a thing, but releasing parts is another. 

Most SW users have in their mind that a part is contained in a file. Parts usually end up in assemblies. 

Here there are part studios that contain parts. And should parts end up in assemblies? I believe so. Some here will disagree and will state that designing in a part studio is better than designing in an assembly. You'll need to figure out parts, part studios & assemblies and how to implement these into your company.

I've been using OS for a long time and would never move back to a file based system. The cloud is the place to be, there are so many benefits to have a single database for all OS users. The controls that can be built into a monolithic structure is still being explored and will grow into capabilities that we haven't realized as of today.

• Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 259 PRO
    I have been impressed so far with the ease of moving some of my Solidworks files into Onshape. You can tell they have put in the work to make it painless as possible.

I’m still doing some testing but I’m feeling more comfortable with it by the day.

I believe the biggest chore will be getting part numbers nailed down.

With that being said, does anyone have any lessons they learned along the way or helpful tips when migrating legacy CAD files into Onshape?
    Make sure to implement a system where your "released" parts are contained within their own Document. In early development it might work to have multiple Parts/Assemblies in one document, but as they matured in your process it is better if they become independent.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,740 PRO
    edited December 2023

Here is some more software that will help: SolidTranslate - a feature translation tool to convert (design intent / features) between SOLIDWORKS and Onshape. It's currently in closed beta.

https://www.cadsharp.com/solidtranslate/

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎