Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sweep cutter path through a cylinder

Hi, I want to create a cut shape that emulates a milling cutter path in the outer surface of a cylinder. The cutter path will rotate around the centre axis of the cylinder.
I can create a wrap shape that puts the cut into the cylinder  but this creates an angle between the edges/faces which would not be created by a milling cutter - it should have parallel sides.

Hop that makes sense.

Any tips ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    I did a study of this some years ago and had access to Solid Works tool path which help me to understand what is going on.
    The center line of the milling cutter path does not meet the center line of the milled part at 90deg so does not provide parallel sides to the bottom of the cut unless your cut is only unless to cut is straight around at 90deg to the axis of the part. The more the spiral cut is steepened the more the curve at the bottom of the cut is exaggerated.
    There are IRs asking for tool path function if you want to add your vote.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @kevin_gallichan
    BTW. Previous note refers to cutting into a solid. Hmm. If the bottom of the cutout does not need to be flat then it won't matter at all. Just cut deep enough to get the needed parallel sides and provide a dimension for that. In this model I used an approximation of bottom cut with a conic.
    If you're cutting a tube through the shell it can get parallel sides all the way through.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7eb0268068ad1df7402d9ae0/w/fc10c59ef2b8f25d926f0b6f/e/7cf665bc9826fd2b2773bbc8
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    edited December 2023
    I guess you are after something like this: 

The magic ingredient is, that if you use the cutter profile from a cross section projected on a plane perpendicular on the helix, you would also have to use the groove ground cross section projected in that same plane, not only the side walls.

• Options
    Konst_ShKonst_Sh Member Posts: 43 PRO
    You may find usefull this Body sweep feature. It creates the tool envelope surface while it moves through some trajectory curve. Its not perfect and tool envelope always has some inner offset from the perfect shape, but can work for some cases.

• Options
    This looks interesting. I'll give it a try.