Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

CONVERTING A 3D EDGE TO A 3D SKECTH??

NicholasNicholas Member Posts: 4
edited January 16 in Community Support
I'm working on a model that requires quite a lot of surfacing. I used the split face on a surface  to generate a 3D edge, I want to convert it into a 3d sketch that I can use to create another surface. How do I go about it? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    edited January 17 Answer ✓

This shape is possible, however Onshape doesn't offer 3D sketching. Follow the Advanced Surfacing - Learning Pathway. This should teach you all the things you need to know to be able to do surfacing like this. Here are a few things you may need to be able to use:
    • Project curve
    • Freeform Spline by @Evan_Reese (Similar to a 3D sketch)
    • Loft
    • Sweep
    • Bridging curve
    • Fit spline
    • Curvature and surface analysis tools to make sure you have smooth transitions

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    The surface modeling toolset (that Michael partially listed above) does not require a "3D sketch" - you can do all your lofts, sweeps, ruled surfaces, boundary surfaces etc etc with (for example) edges created in a split feature, or curves you create from a bridging curve, or a fit spline, or even regular sketch entities.

So to answer your first question, you don't need to do anything with the edges you already have created, just use them... 

The real question (and solution!) will be in the process/workflow you use. Using split edges as the basis of downstream surfaces can be suboptimal. Make sure to check the quality of those split edges (curvature combs, control points, edge-face tangency, curvature deviation...) before wondering why there are so many control points on the loft you created ;)