Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can i upload folders to onshape?

XcissorsXcissors Member Posts: 2
i currently use desktop based CAD on my mac but my school is switching to onshape (PLZ ADD DARK THEME) but my main issue is when i try to upload anythign it seems that i have to upload each file individually and cant just select folders? i know onshape doesnt store files like that but its not that hard to retain a folder structue on upload, is there any way to do this?

Comments

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 299 PRO
    Try a zip archive.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,442 PRO
    Doesn't a zip archive only help with something where there is a top level assembly? I've definitely used that successfully, but the zip archive needs to have the same name as the top level assembly (as least for Solidworks).
  • Options
    Simon, that's probably true. AFAIR the identically named top assembly needs to be inside the zip archive with all the other stuff. Could be it only works with SW, not with other formats even if they support assembly structures. Anyway, uploading a zip works, at least for sharing many files. It would be nice if it could be unpacked right there and accessed, though.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @martin_kopplow Zip files with same top level assembly name works with importing Solid Edge assemblies also.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Ah, thanks Bryan, that's good to know. I wonder what's the reason why it does not work with all formats supporting assemblies? Importing is not only important for SW or SE, for all who work in a multi CAD environment.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,448
    Inventor, SW, SE, CATIA, Creo - there must be no folder structure inside the ZIP file.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Good to know. May there be different versions of e.g. catia formats within the zip file? My last attempt failed, not sure why.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,448
    Good to know. May there be different versions of e.g. catia formats within the zip file? My last attempt failed, not sure why.
    The top level should be the CATProduct (which equals the name of the ZIP) and include all the CATParts
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI