Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Looking to quit Solidworks and 3Dexperience but need opinion

Louis_Simon_MaloLouis_Simon_Malo Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello! I’m a new Onshape user I’m currently into a 6 month trial

First sorry for my english, french is my first language :)

I’m reaching out to you today to have your honest thoughts to know if Onshape could be a good fit for my company from other people than the Onshape sale team :P

At this moment, I’m the only CAD user in my company. I’m using Solidworks and I did implement the 3Dexperience platform as a PDM recently.

The 3Dexperience is functional… but terrible compared to Onshape data management. This is slow, not user friendly, complicated, lacks options, not well integrated. It feels like a patch. In a couple of months I already lost data with this “cache download” and “server sync” and I often have errors when I save. This is without talking about the all display issue…

Things are going well and I plan to hire some people to help me with the CAD task. The thing is I want to make the choice if Onshape is good for me before hiring.

I Did spend 20 to 30 hours on Onshape and maybe 10 hours in the learning center. I have 15 years of experience on CAD. For me Onshape is very easy to learn and I had no problem doing an assembly of around 80 parts.

There is a long list of feature that i’m using on Solidworks that Onshape do not have but i’m ready to pass over them (but please… add mirror tool into assembly soon :P)

There is my 2 main concern I would like to know your opinion :

1. Performance for a project around 10 000 parts. I joined some pictures of STEP I imported from a typical project I do. The STEP is not functional for editing.But I imagined this possible to do better with multiple Onshape documents but on the other hand, I know STEP imported parts are easier to manage than native parts with features to rebuild.

2. Stability and robustness :
I already experience some issue around sheet metal (I’m glad to have been able to test the good customer support :P ). I have read about some bugs appearing randomly. I see that as a high risk of a potential error during the fabrication or lost time waiting when the issue is solved.

I would like to have feedback from people doing similar projects than mine. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Eric for this realy complete answer! This is appreciated and that will certainly make an impact on the future decision. The real question is not if yes or no I will change for Onshape but more when :P

This is inconvenient that I'm testing onshape and there are some issue with sheet metal at this moment. This is maybe 50% of all the parts I design. This weekend I did some more stress test and I got some more strange behavior with some features... The sheet metal flat pattern tab even disappear some time and I need to refresh the page to make it appear. That will be a good opportunity to see the responsiveness of the Onshape team on this :)

I did try a little bit the 2D drawing and that is ok for me. Sure, there are a lof of feature missing but I will be able to pass over this.

I don't know... maybe a i get use to Solidworks and I really know his general behavior but I find the software pretty stable in my opinion (3Dexperience is something else :P)

Thank you again for your help in this decision.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    I came from 20 years of ProE/Creo (and a couple short years of SDRC I-Deas in the 90s). Now I'm 3 years into OS. The stability is rock solid. Better than anything I've used before. It's the difference between Windows 95 and Unix. You'll never lose a single minute of work, or a single feature. I got into the habit with ProE of saving after every single feature, after losing work a bunch of times.

The performance is probably my biggest gripe. Some things really slow down. In ProE/Creo, you could have a 700 feature tree. One or two features might be really slow, but the rest fast, even if they are after the slow feature. In other words, each feature is "independent". In OS, the features seem to build on top of each other, when they are on the same body. So if the body gets slow, adding a few simple holes will actually make those holes very slow to regenerate as well. I see this in sheetmetal models the most. I "think" this may have to do with OS using Parasolid, while ProE used something else (I forgot which now).

The PDM system is way better. On ProE/Creo/SW, and I think most others, the CAD system and the PDM system were developed separately, then merged years later. In OS the PDM was developed together with the CAD. They really work well together. That also saves a lot of money, as the other systems charge another license fee for the PDM.

The helpdesk is top notch. Any bugs get taken care of quickly. Users are able to submit feature requests, and some of mine have actually made it in. Problems with modeling (especial when you don't have a coworker with years of OS experience sitting next to you) can be sorted out via help.

The custom features are great. They allow anyone to make their own features. That's above my pay grade, but I have used other's custom features a lot, and really appreciate how OS opened up the whole programming to anyone that is into that.

OS makes it super easy to design "everything" in the same part studio. For real products with multiple subassy's, you must learn the top-down design methods OS provides. If you do everything in one part studio, it will be too slow. Some up-front planning is necessary to break out your design into manageable part studios.

The training is top notch, all built in, and free.

The browser based system is top notch. That alone might negate any of the disadvantages. Not having to install and maintain the system is a HUGE advantage. Although I "think" SW 3d experience is the same?

Branching is another HUGE feature. No one else has that as far as I'm aware (except PTC just added it to Creo, using OS technology). That is so handy for exploring design alternatives.

Working in teams is much better in OS than Creo (with Creo's PDM system). From talking with my coworkers, Creo is a lot better with that than SW.

Assemblies I've gone about as big as about 1000 parts, if you count hardware, and maybe 100 "real" parts if you remove all the hardware. The asm performance is pretty good at that level. That's also about as big as I went with ProE/Creo, and I'd say the asm performance was about the same.

I would def recommend it to most of my former coworkers, and have. I would be slightly hesitant to recommend it to very complicated injection molding companies. The last company I worked at made children's car seats, that would routinely have 3000-4000 long feature trees. The molds were very complicated. I don't know if OS would be able to handle that. The biggest I've gone is about 700 features in one tree, and it was quite slow.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 482 PRO
     I don't have experience with any other platform so I can't offer much. However, I would say before starting on an assembly that large, study the version and release management system (if using it) and map out a workflow that takes advantage of the speed gains available by having versions of smaller assemblies inserted into a higher level.   
  • Options
    Cary_BettenhausenCary_Bettenhausen Member Posts: 38 PRO
    edited January 22
    Welcome to the Onshape community, Louis! Not much I can add here except the company I work for produces surgical instrument and implant cases and trays for reprocessing between surgical procedures. These assemblies are MUCH simpler than your example and other than a few performance slowdowns in assemblies and drawings during our acclimation period we are very happy with our decision to change from SolidWorks to Onshape, especially when collaborating with our customers or CAD service providers. The Onshape model is revolutionary and once you experience it there is no going back to the old ways.

My advice on larger projects is to keep each Onshape document manageable in size and if using Release Management, releasing each Document independently from the bottom up in your assembly structure might be your best way to manage larger assemblies. Some of our more complex assemblies might have up to 5-10 subassemblies within the product structure with each subassembly being limited to maybe 200 parts including small fasteners like rivets and releasing from the bottom up has been the best way for us so far.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated as your journey continues.
  • Options
    Thank you for your comment, this is really appreciated :)

About stability, I would like to have your thought about the situation I encounter that do not help me in the decision process. At this moment, on the platform, when you do the feature "mirror" of a sheet metal body with an hole feature on it, the holes from the feature do not mirror as they suppose to do. See picture below for more details. This is a known bug and they are working on it (since 1-2 weeks).

There are workaround but during the time they fix it, I may need to do 35 sheet metal parts with mirror feature. Should I use the workaround and someone else question myself about this wrong workflow in the future when I they come back to my design?

What if I had a lot of parts into workspace in progress, with the mirror feature done before the bugs occur, and now because I do a rebuild, all the holes disappear from the mirror side?

This bug is kind of obvious, but imagine a very large part with very small holes and the parts going into production 300 copy with the missing holes because we did not notice the holes was missing?

Is it a bug I should consider not major? In my opinion kinda major because I use those features several time by day and also that can lead to fabrication error. I do not remember experiencing a bug as critical as this one in Solidworks.

Is it one of a kind bug and I'm just not lucky to experience it 5 hours after using Onshape?

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 699
    This bug has indeed been introduced with the new functionality, we are working on fixing it.  The simplest work-around for now would be to apply and mirror holes after mirror of the part.  As far as we know, the issue is only present when mirror/pattern with Add option merges new walls with existing wall with holes. Apologies for  any inconvenience.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    Thank you for your comment, this is really appreciated :)

About stability, I would like to have your thought about the situation I encounter that do not help me in the decision process. At this moment, on the platform, when you do the feature "mirror" of a sheet metal body with an hole feature on it, the holes from the feature do not mirror as they suppose to do. See picture below for more details. This is a known bug and they are working on it (since 1-2 weeks).

There are workaround but during the time they fix it, I may need to do 35 sheet metal parts with mirror feature. Should I use the workaround and someone else question myself about this wrong workflow in the future when I they come back to my design?

What if I had a lot of parts into workspace in progress, with the mirror feature done before the bugs occur, and now because I do a rebuild, all the holes disappear from the mirror side?

This bug is kind of obvious, but imagine a very large part with very small holes and the parts going into production 300 copy with the missing holes because we did not notice the holes was missing?

Is it a bug I should consider not major? In my opinion kinda major because I use those features several time by day and also that can lead to fabrication error. I do not remember experiencing a bug as critical as this one in Solidworks.

Is it one of a kind bug and I'm just not lucky to experience it 5 hours after using Onshape?

Ouch!
    I agree this is pretty major, and this level of "severity" of bugs is quite rare in Onshape so I would say you are very unlucky in your timing! That said I am pretty sure it shouldn't take too much longer for a fix (I'm actually a bit surprised this one snuck past QC and it has taken this long before it's fixed)...

One thing Onshape is generally good at is keeping things "intact" during version updates (part of the reason is that they can run automated tests with "real data" during QC to make sure geometry hasn't changed after an update). I just did a check and I do have some existing mirrored sheet metal parts with holes that are regenerating just fine (but would fail as you are seeing if I created them today):

This means this issue only affects holes/mirror features created since the update and any pre-existing parts would not be affected and wouldn't affect any existing "production" parts. This sort of issue in SW would cause the error to "show up" as soon as you saved it to the latest version (or even upon opening the part) but that's not the case here.
    There have been other instances of things behaving "differently" after an update but I can't think of a single example where an "old" document didn't look exactly as I left it regardless of the number of updates since the last edit.

I can definitely understand how this would be concerning as you are evaluating things but definitely not representative of what you'd normally expect.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 699
    Sorry - I failed to address this concern:
    We put a lot of effort to ensure that new release does not break existing features. Instabilities happen and we get some odd cases, but they are very infrequent. The hole mirror issue above only applies to hole features created in the latest release.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply! This is appreciated :) I will continue to put more effort to evaluate Onshape. The 6 month trial is a really good idea from Onshape.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    lana said:
    Sorry - I failed to address this concern:
    We put a lot of effort to ensure that new release does not break existing features. Instabilities happen and we get some odd cases, but they are very infrequent. The hole mirror issue above only applies to hole features created in the latest release.
    This is why it should be best practice to always reference a Version vs the Main (WIP), this improves with performance and stability at all levels, and is something very difficult to manage in SW/PDM because it typically wants to push the "Latest Version", in Onshape you have full control of when you want to push/pull changes to components.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager