Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Disobliging Mates

peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
Hi Folks

It is probably just the lateness of the hour plus my lack of expertise, but I just cannot get the two halves of my crank shaft to revolve together.

The left half was assembled first with a Revolute Mate in the bearing and tested.  That worked fine.  I then assembled the second half with a Revolute Mate in the second bearing.  I tested that and it revolved nicely, then I noticed the first half was not revolving.  Ah, I thought.  We probably don't need two Revolute Mates so I will delete No 2 and that should fix it.  Unfortunately not.  The left half still rotates and the right half remains parked.

Your advice would be most welcome.

The rpoblem drawing is top be found here:

Many thanks

Pete

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Looks like you need another mate to join the 2 sides together.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
    Many thnks for the comment.  I effectively did that the next day.  I took the whole crank 'set' off the bearings and then assembled it into a single unit.  Then, when put back with the single revolute mate at one bearing it worked correctly.