Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - January 12th, 2024

13»

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    edited January 18
    @S1mon
    Interesting!
    Surely this suggests they will be adding the functionality to project onto arbitrary surfaces if it already works from a technical standpoint... I'm guessing it's just a matter of coming up with a user interface for it and getting feedback on the current version before expanding.

I was also hoping it would translate to RenderStudio but I'm guessing that is also just a matter of time...
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Cool find @S1mon and @romeograham. Yes, hopefully decals can further be improved.

I also messed with using two transparent decals and they didn't overlap as I would have expected. The first one I applied was showing up on top of the second one.

• Options
    Philip_Thomas_PTCPhilip_Thomas_PTC Member Posts: 9
    I take my eyes off this thread for 5 minutes and we have Beavis/ButtHead and people hot-wiring Onshape! :)

Quick story - I wrote the original spec for decals in 2015 (or thereabouts), and it called for planar and cylindrical surfaces only because 'decals' (also known as 'appliques') was the original use case (other surface shapes cause the decals to physically wrinkle). The intent was never for decals to be a texturing tool or material representation. With the advent of PCB studio, being able to import an image of the board (or potentially even generate a trace image), became another use case that would work using just planar and cylindrical faces (including (should it ever happen), ribbon cables or other flexible circuits).

Things I would like:

1) To be a fly on the wall during the QA standup tomorrow morning! 

2) More importantly - If you believe that there is a use-case for decals on additional surface topologies that ISNT a shader or material/texture representation, then please open an enhancement request detailing the use-case. 

Thank you.

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO

Nice find @romeograham!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    edited January 19
    @Philip_Thomas_PTC

I created an IR for 3D surfaces before @romeograham figured out the replace face hack.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/22824/allow-decals-on-surfaces-with-3d-curvature

As I mention in there, pad printing on consumer products which have some compound curvature is a really obvious example (at least in my experience), but also things like packaging with either labels that are developable surfaces (even if they're not cylindrical) or there are all kinds of graphics which are shrunk-wrapped or dipped onto products (hydrographics). 

Here's a pretty extreme example of pad printing on a soccer ball:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gonNrmRnto

Here's a shrink sleeve machine:

Here's a production hydrographic line adding fake woodgrain to a plastic part:

Here's another production hydrographic line adding graphics to vacuum bottles:

There's also a related IR to add dimensions to locate the graphic on a drawing. That will likely be more complex, but typically what I've ended up doing is actually making a split surface or a very small extrusion or thickened area (~0.03 mm - roughly the thickness of the ink) so I have edges to attach dimensions to. That's assuming a single color thing which isn't too crazy to turn into geometry. It requires getting the graphic as an Illustrator file, converting to a DXF and scaling and locating it correctly. The actual graphic is always controlled by the Illustrator file if it's printed onto the product, but the 2D mechanical drawing controls the placement and tolerances. 

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Am I the only one thinking decals and cosmetic threads?
  • Options
    Philip_Thomas_PTCPhilip_Thomas_PTC Member Posts: 9
    @S1mon - Very helpful list and examples - thank you. More coming in the future :)
  • Options
    Cary_BettenhausenCary_Bettenhausen Member Posts: 38 PRO
    We often use Decals to represent laser etching on parts with machined cavities where our prevous CAD would "project" one Decal onto multiple surfaces in one feature as in the attached image. I have submitted a request to add this functionality to Onshape. Right now, it would take 9 decal features to do the same on this part.