Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need a little help splitting and mirroring

StillMakerStillMaker Member Posts: 22 EDU
edited February 4 in Using Onshape
I'm new to CAD, and new to OnShape. I'm using it for 3d printer projects. I could use a nudge in the right direction about splitting this part and mirroring it.

I'd like to split it around the area I've marked with "Plane 1". (Ideally I'd split it directly in the center of that main void). I'd like the keep the smaller, lower left half, and then mirror it.

I've watched some YouTube videos, but so far nothing has been similar enough to what I am doing to be helpful.

Thanks for any help.

This is my file, which I copied from a public one I found: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/712e820776e7438f38ab7eaa/w/1b60a957467c5452331c47d1/e/ac094b9b0a2975f1d64d67a8?renderMode=0&uiState=65bed5a37ae5ca2aeaae5fd7

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @StillMaker , I wasn't able to follow the URL that you provided.  Make your document public and share the link.
  • Options
    @StillMaker, first you have to click on the "Share" icon and set the document to "Public" so that other users can copy your document and work on it.  As it is now the link is view-only.

• Options
    Sorry, I did click share and I copied the document link from that modal window. I thought people would then be able to see it and give me some guidance. Or copy it to their own document and edit it. I've clicked the Make Public button now. I don't understand how that is different though, I thought all documents I created would be able to be copied, due to my license.

Here is the link now, from that Share modal window: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/712e820776e7438f38ab7eaa/w/1b60a957467c5452331c47d1/e/ac094b9b0a2975f1d64d67a8?renderMode=0&uiState=65beecd4c278c921e10868b4
  • Options
    @StillMaker, I agree that sharing documents can be a little tricky at first.  But you figured it out.  As for the split and mirror task, take a look at this copy of your model.  The first step is to SPLIT PART 1 with PLANE 1.  It is worth noting that this tool has several options that could potentially mess you up.  I circled some of the important ones in red.  Split the PART not the FACE.  Select PART 1 as the part to split.  Select PLANE 1 as the entity to split with.  I de-selected "Keep Tools" to discard the portion that we are trimming off (but you can keep both sides if you want, just depends on your intent.

The next step is to mirror the part.  Again, this tool can also be configured to the task at hand but you have to match the settings to meet your purpose.  The type of entity that you want to mirror is a PART (circled in red).  ADD, unless you would like the mirror to be a second, unique part.  You could select Plane 1 as the mirror plane, or just select the cut face of the parent part.  I hope this helps you.  Holler if any of these steps are not clear.

• Options
    edited February 4
    Thank you so much @matthew_stacy, can I hire you as my tutor?  :)

I was able to perform both operations by following your instruction.

A follow up question for you or anyone: How do I go about resolving all the features with errors? I thought maybe they referred to the parts (I'm sure thats not the right term...) that have been deleted via the split. So I tried just deleting all of them, but that ends up removing some extrudes and fillets from my part. So instead I tried deleting them one by one. Some of them can be deleted just fine (no effect on the part), but this one, for example (Sketch 11, screenshot below), does affect it. 

... so I double clicked on Sketch 11 to edit it, then I deleted everything that was showing up in red (I don't know what they were, I haven't found a page yet that tells me what all the little line icons mean). Then clicked the green tick. Sketch 11 is no longer showing as a red error. :+1: Do I need to just keep doing this for all the features in red, or is there a way to have it automatically do this?

• Options
    Update - I kept deleting the red/error features one by one, and none of them had any effect except that Sketch 11, which I manually fixed. So everything is good now. :+1:
  • Options
    @StillMaker, glad I was able to help.