Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cross-sketch constraints "failed to regenerate"

martin_meinkemartin_meinke Member Posts: 5
Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to onshape and really like it so far!
Still, right now I am struggling with what feels like a trivial problem - introducing a constraint "between sketches".
I have tried to make this work for an hour, but just can not figure out what might be the problem.

I'd highly appreciate if someone could have a quick look:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c4d93042f556b439a8561fbf/w/a1dadf21232ad4bb82d6a260/e/a2ea35d7bbaa35b166155245

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    Answer ✓
    Because the feature list is regenerated top to bottom like a recipe and Sketch 2 did not exist when Sketch 1 was created. Or in other words, you can't alter the past.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭
    The rectangle in sketch 2 is over constrained. Because the rectangle is tied to all 4 corners of previous part a dimension is too much. Check show constraints to see.

• Options
    Thank you for your response @glen_dewsbury!
    Let me try to be more precise:
    Why does onshape not increase the width of the rectangle in Sketch1 to accommodate the width constraint in Sketch2? This should be possible without violating any constraints?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    Answer ✓
    Because the feature list is regenerated top to bottom like a recipe and Sketch 2 did not exist when Sketch 1 was created. Or in other words, you can't alter the past.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    That's the piece that was conceptually missing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭