Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature Regeneration

daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
On importing medium to large (+500 parts) stp file models into Onshape, I have noticed that when zooming into details such as holes, fillets etc. the view doesn't seem to regenerate and the detail in question starts to look faceted.
Is there currently a way to regenerate the view to improve this, or am I missing something obvious?   

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @daryntaylor No you are not missing something.  We are working on ways to progressively display higher detail as you zoom. Currently we use an algorithm to balance performance and details.  With larger datasets, you will notice this.  We hope to have this in place to avoid the detail slider option many graphics tools use today.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I noticed an oddity after using the Android app to view my document.  After viewing one part studio, I closed the app.  Now on my desktop, the part studio that I opened in Android is very faceted, but other part studios (that I didn't open) in the document are not.  Does the resolution change when viewing on mobile, and is there a way to change it back once I am on my PC again?  It's not a big deal, but it does seem odd.  The top image is the one I viewed on mobile, and the bottom is an example of what other studios look like.

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I also meet a similar issue, I created a complicated part, and there were many features on this part, but it looked good. after creating some the waist type holes(created a sketch include a circle pattern ,then extruded it),it looked faceted,especially these sweep features.I refreshed the page several times,but no changes.

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    The degree of faceting can be a showstopper on drawings, in particular, at present, but the graphics whizz-kids are well aware of it and working hard to resolve it. 

I think we can safely assume that this sort of problem will melt away, because it's simply a question of location on a performance curve which is still being pushed up rapidly by other forces.

My hunch is that Onshape are not stressing on issues which fall under this broad category. I seem to see strong evidence that they're intent on putting flesh on the bones and pushing out new functionality to reassure themselves, their investors, and users, that they have made right decisions (the fundamental design of the app, the skillset of the developers, and the community culture they've tried to foster to harness the putative wisdom of crowds) to ensure they can sustainably keep the ambitious architecture working increasingly well with the kernel and with the user.

Some things are a bit under-cooked when first rolled out, but that's a good fault, and shows that courage is not one of their short suits. Others are sublime from the get-go, showing that they're seriously talented, and that their original vision had more than a modicum of brilliance.

It's up to us, I think, as a beta community, to strike a balance between holding their feet to the fire, and supporting them (in motivational terms as well as through ideas) in a difficult and demanding endeavour. 
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup I agree and also believe this is a very low priority.  Since the Android app is so new, I wasn't sure if anyone else had experienced this yet, and figured it wasn't a bad idea to mention it.  There are other features I'd like to see tackled.