Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how complex a shape can the software Handle?

joshua_samsjoshua_sams Member Posts: 21 PRO
I'm trying out some files from a 3d scanner

there are quite a few triangles in the mesh. about 1.4M

when I move the item around I get a perfectly acceptable frame rate and the computer indicates about 30 per cent GPU load (RTX2070 Super)

but that's only after it starts moving. when I first move it I get a total freeze for around a second.

similarly zooming in to the item results in a delay of around 1-4 seconds before anything happens.

it seems like my PC can handle it but Onshape can't?

iv tried on my laptop too and that works just the same. slightly slower frame rate as its a lower spec card but its perfectly useable once it gets moving

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a6640a8c4ce29b9853e81cf/w/938222efed93405b99c60b8a/e/dd0e2494fb30da5dfbfdbc37?renderMode=0&uiState=65ce4b647f16bb450ff35481

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited February 15

Click on the Camera and render options drop down over on the right of your screen and change it to Shaded without edges. This should get rid of the lag unless you drag your cursor over all the vertices which will slow it back down, so try avoiding bringing your cursor over the part until you are ready to click something.

This is currently one of the limitations of Onshape's mixed modeling.

Legit scans btw, which device did you use for the scanning?

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    joshua_samsjoshua_sams Member Posts: 21 PRO

Click on the Camera and render options drop down over on the right of your screen and change it to Shaded without edges. This should get rid of the lag unless you drag your cursor over all the vertices which will slow it back down, so try avoiding bringing your cursor over the part until you are ready to click something.

This is currently one of the limitations of Onshape's mixed modeling.

Legit scans btw, which device did you use for the scanning?

hi.

that makes sense, thank you.
    do you know anywhere that has a good tutorial on mixed modeling in onshape.? I'm struggling with it a lot

the scan is from a MOLE scanner. its quite a cheep unit around £550 but i didn't take it myself. i just downloaded it.

I'm trying to work out what our workflow would be when using a 3d scanner to see if its useful before i commit to buying it.

so far it seems useful but won't be very useful unless i can get better at mixed modeling!
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO

My recommendation would be to create a new model based off of the scan without referencing it directly with constraints, then suppress the import from the feature tree so that it doesn't slow down production.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    edited February 16
    For comparison, I just opened your model and the motion is very smooth. I only have the slightest of delays when beginning to move it, maybe 1/10th second, in shaded plus edges view mode. When I have the view mode set to shaded without edges, it is perfectly smooth, no lag at all.

I'm on a MacBook Air with an M2 CPU/GPU and 24GB of ram.
  • Options
    kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 53
    Hi all,
    Is your problem constant or do you notice a difference from one test to another?
    I am having terrible delays with documents that have a larger then normal amount of parts in them. I tried the performance check and all boxes are ticked. In the performance test itself it came out at about 19.1 million triangles per second, but still when I work with the document with parts or the assembly, it is very slow to render and shows long period of lag when moving. What does the performance test measure, the internet connection or your PC?
    Is my problem similar as described in this thread?
    My problem seems to vary from day to day however, so I was thinking it is internet speed related, but not sure. Smaller amount of parts in other documents do not have this problem.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    @kees_bijker performance check is testing your graphics card -19m triangles is terrible. For a half decent experience should be at least 200m. Great experience, 800m.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 53
    NeilCooke said:
    @kees_bijker performance check is testing your graphics card -19m triangles is terrible. For a half decent experience should be at least 200m. Great experience, 800m.

I was suspecting there is something wrong with this laptop. I will check my other one and if that is better I will restrict myself to using only that one.
    Thank you for clearing that up.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    If your laptop has a dedicated graphics card then make sure your browser is using it. You can set this in the nVidia Control Panel (if you have such a card). If your laptop only has integrated graphics then it is what it is. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI