Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Solidworks to Onshape (working on imported file)

nadav_oakesnadav_oakes Member Posts: 2
I was working in SW until my license expired. I am trying to see if I can keep working on my project in Onshape now. At the moment I am struggling to figure out if there is a way to change hole sizes or place new ones now that I don't have the design tree. Anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    Hi @nadav_oakes
    Welcome to the Onshape Forums! Onshape has a number of powerful direct editing tools to allow you to do modifications without needing the original feature history. Some more information on that can be found here: Direct Editing | Onshape CAD Tutorial
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2018
    @nadav_oakes

Like @gaby_rochino says, direct editing is your friend. 

You'll have to decide how much you want to convert to parametric features. You could re-build the whole thing based off your import geometry and it doesn't take that long. You're not designing, you're just clicking away. I like doing it because I can clean up design intent and build a better model. But time is money and you don't have to convert everything.

For your holes:
    • I'd create a sketch on the plane with your holes,
    • add points centered on these holes,
    • dimension the points,
    • delete the concentric mate.

To remove existing holes:
    • Use face move, grab an inner face, drag towards the center, or delete face 
    • They'll go away

Create parametric holes: 
    • now create new parametric holes in OS using sketch

You don't have to create everything at first and only focus on converting those important features. Rebuilding the whole thing might not be needed and you can pick those features that you want to convert. Moving faces is a powerful way to manipulate geometry and should handle most geometric resizing. SpaceClaim, Creo & ME30 were all based on these ideas and they do work. Most parametric guys don't accept move face as a legit feature, but it is.

Welcome to OS, I'll never go back to SW, hope you like it here,

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Deleting holes should probably be done with the Delete Face feature rather than the Move Face feature
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Good point, delete face and patch hole. This is a more direct way to get there.

Although, move face is really cool to watch. I tend to over use it to remove fillets and other stuff I don't want. These are old habits formed when using space claim and using one feature to do almost everything.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I agree with @billy2 on the need to delete the holes and make fresh in Onshape. That way you can get tapped hole information on the detail print if required.

But yea man, delete face  :p