Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
Hole tool, design intent, best practices
Consideration and thoughts about best practices on using hole tool.
Few angles to approach:
- Hole takes more time to regenerate than circle & extrude cutout
- Hole callout in drawings only finds the ones made by hole tool
- Single hole feature can include similar holes for multiple parts
- It is commonly thought as a good thing to have as few features as possible
- Good design intent is easy to edit and strong against breaking on edits
I haven't had problems with performance with my simple designs so I haven't really payed attention to regen times for holes. I've been trying to create all holes using hole tool and avoid circle extrude cuts for drilled holes because I like hole callouts more than adding depth dimensions to hidden lines. I wish there was a way to include x-y position into call-out in drawings.
I've found myself dividing holes to separate features since if I've already built the assembly and remove some redundant hole from feature, it will change also others id's and break the assy mates. So in the name of robustness I've been creating longer feature list and with decent naming it's pretty quick to edit similar holes even if it takes few more clicks and has possibility for error / forgetting one.
If those ID's would be static I would certainly combine all similar holes, it's amazing that you can even make configuration that adds/removes target points
At this point I wen't back to check that this ID issue is still the case and took out an instance but it didn't affect to mates on other holes. Has this been improved? Have I been worried for something that happened only in past? Can someone please confirm @philip_thomas
What do you think? Do you use hole tool or circle extrude? Any other thoughts / tips making the best out of hole tool?