Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Enhancement for Named Views

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
I have posted a request ticket for Named views.

Backround:
I have created hundreds of assembly instructions and tried to look for different solutions to streamline the workflow. The only solution I can see is do it all in cad so that there is no static copies. With Onshape, this could be possible.
Currently the best solution I have found is:
1. Save screenshot from cad with certain name
2. Link image to Inkscape and add comments, static dimensions etc.
3. Create pdf from page
4. Combine pdf
5. Share (file server, print server, my website, retailer website, etc..)

Editing model requires same steps which easily leads to having multiple versions in different places.

Enhancement to named views:
New Functions:
1. Possibility to add 3D dimensions (not just view sketch dimensions, but separate tool to add needed dimensions. All driven, just for viewing - changes would be made through sketch/extrude)
2. Possibility to add comments: text (plain or in shaped boxes), web links, images, arrows and pointers. Standard logos & text box with parametric text (like drawings: scale, drawer, name of the model, weight, material etc.).
3. Possibility to hide/show parts/features (in future: select configuration would be enough)
4. Section and exploded views together with all current view possibilities (like 'Hidden edges removed')

Output:
1. Separate tabs for named views (multiple views in same tab) with DIRECT WEB LINK. So that anyone having link can view and print. Optional password protection with adobe like restriction profiles (allow save, allow print, etc..)
2. Pdf with link to 3D model (click to open model in onshape)
3. High resolution image for download

Why:
1. Assembly instructions.  Named views with above functions would be perfect for assembly instructions. It would streamline workflow and remove problems dealing with multiple versions.
2. Assembly documentation, named views would be used together with active 2d drawings, maybe in same tab (with web link)?
3. Manufacturing images, if no traditional documentation is needed; named views would be perfect material for manufacturer (As a manufacturer myself, I would prefer 3d material rather than 2d drawings).
4. Product introducing to customer. Named views opened through link in email is far more convenient for non-cad people to handle than shared 3d model. Purchase managers are not willing to create cad-accounts for viewing suppliers ideas. That same link would be always up-to-date since it's like a a set of windows to 3d model.
5. Check list for manufacturer / designer. It would be perfect way of keeping track how certain things change when other parts of model is built/edited if you had named views with driven dimensions showing the details of important spots of model.
6. To make a difference, this would be a true game changer for cad industry which is known for separate viewers, dwg exports/drawings, crappy screenshots and other static do-you-have-latest-version stuff.  

Future:
- 3D animations in named views with things mentioned above and of course direct web link.
- Commenting/feedback possibility for viewer.

What do you think?
//rami

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad I love the potential of 3D animations in the future.  I think assembly 2D drawings and internal operations sheets could both be combined into 3D animated work instructions in the direct web link.  That would be so efficient.  I'm sold.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Really like the idea's of what could be achieved with the named views. @3dcad I think you have summed it up for me in you opening comment.

Only thing I am thinking is will versioning affect the a named view link. i.e. if you had a live snap shot as the part changes, will the changes come though when refreshed. I'd somehow want to see the named view link to the version graph, 

The thing I am excited about is getting dimension, notes and BOM's to show up on named view's.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this high level functionality would be best integrated with drawings, rather than adding those layers to an everyday tool like named view?

Or if this is not a good match, perhaps the suggested feature set (which I very much support, BTW) could be an add-on package, so that the everyday tool remained pared-back, for those who had no need of those features?