Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hole Wizard & Support for 3D Mouse (Space Pilot)

Hi all!

Just did a quick test of Onshape and I'm really impressed.  I've been a Solidworks (currently) users for many years so the bar is high.

I get that Onshape is still beta, but two features that I really consider necessary before trying to switch over over are a hole wizard and support for 3D mice.

The hole wizard is a massive time saver and prevents a multitude of human errors when adding fasteners to things.  This isn't trivial considering many mechanical parts (I design robotic manufacturing equipment) will have hundreds or thousands of fasteners, most of which are counter board, threaded and chamfered.  Doing that manually is archaic.

On 3D mice, this again is a massive productivity booster.  Reading in some previous posts I see its on the 'to-do' list, but the hang-up seems to be needing a plug-in.  Honestly, I'm 100% fine with a browser plug-in.  Keep in mind that people with 3D mice are professionals and a simple plug-in is hardly going to be an issue.  Compared to all the other software I have installed on my workstation this is trivial.

Otherwise, looking good!

Cheers

Comments

This discussion has been closed.