Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Question concerning mirroring

Hello,

I´m beginner and excuse my bad english.

I have a question concerning mirroring.

I´m drawing a complex component for the Right-Hand-Side and need the same fort the Left-Hand-side, practical a Mirror. I don´t need to draw it for the left side again new, it´s a lot of work.

I did it with the command „Mirror“ and had two parts on the screen, the Right and the Left.

One Drawing should be separate for the right part and one drawing separate for the left part.

Therefore I erased from the two parts the right Component to have only the left Component and then to save it. But if I deleted the Right the Left disappeared too !!!!

How can I  eliminate the dependance. What can I do that I can produce a separate drawing for Left and Right ? It should be possible, but after a lot of hours a have no result.

Please help me. Thanks a lot in advance for a solution!!!

kind regards - Kurt

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @kurt_dorfner welcome to Onshape!

When you say "drawing" do you mean a 2D drawing or a 3D model? Onshape uses Part Studios where more than one part can be designed together (which is why you have two parts on screen). Do these 3D models need to be in separate windows? Probably not. When you create a 2D drawing (or if you are exporting just one part for 3D printing), you can select which part you want to draw (or export). It makes no difference that the parts are together in the Part Studio.

Does that make sense? If you REALLY want them in separate tabs (windows) you can use the Derived feature, but this is really not necessary.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it sounds like your mirror command adds geometry to the original body, check if the option in the mirror is "New" but not the "Add". If it doesn't help you would better post here a link to to the problematic document.
  • kurt_dorfnerkurt_dorfner Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the quick replay!  If I say "drawing" I mean a 3D-model. And if I used the mirror-command I used the option "New". Of course I would like to post a link to this dokument - but how I can do this??? In my old and simple 2D-CAD I have the possibility in the Mirror-Command to check a box "Duplicate", if I don´t check I get only the new mirrored Part. Maybe, for this what I need, the "Mirror-Command" is wrong, maybe an other Command would do what I need. Regards - Kurt
    edited December 2018
    Just paste the URL here. 

You can keep both mirrored parts in the same Part Studio. It is not a problem. Use hide/show if you just want to view each one. When used in assemblies and drawings you select which one you want. 
    Concerning Link: the document called "Trichter_R" and should for everybody accessible
    We can probably find that but in future please post the URL from the browser starting https://cad.onshape.com/documents/.... thanks!
    @NeilCooke, the problem is I need to export the Model in STL and print this on 3D-Printer, I´m not sure if this woud work correct if I only hide the one part (maybe then I get 2 parts)
    Just right-click the part you want to export and select Export
    Thanks a lot for all answeres ! I see, in OnShape it is not possible to make only a simple mirrored part, only with complicated ways (like "with the church around the cross). In Fusion 360, a part of the awful autodesk, it´s the same. Nobody need such? I don´t understand why, but it is so.....  kind regards - Kurt
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks a lot for all answeres ! I see, in OnShape it is not possible to make only a simple mirrored part, only with complicated ways (like "with the church around the cross).
    Hi and welcome.I too need mirrored parts, but I'm not following you on the difficulty.  There is a great mirror command and it works with just a couple of clicks.  If you post the link to your doc as Neil says (just copy the address from the top of your browser and then past it into the forum post) then folks will jump in and help.

Also just an hour or so invested in the training media to get to grips with the terminology will make it much easier for us to help you with regards to phrasing the question.

A drawing is 2D representation of a finished part
    A sketch is a 2D drawing used to generate a part via features.
    A Part is a 3D object.
    There is a 2D Mirror for Sketch Entities, and  Mirror feature for Parts or Faces Or features. 

So it's easy to offer incorrect advice if we misunderstand the question asked.  More info here:- click-me

Cheers and happy CAD-ing, Owen S

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • dick_van_der_vaartdick_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 51 PRO
    Hello Kurt,

I just made a copy of your document, and I see that you created your mirrored part, so I,am confused what the problem is.
    When right-click on the part in the left colum, you can export the 3d file, or you can create a 2d drawing the part.
    See screenshot