Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Workflow for creating drawings like images

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
I decided to use Onshape to work despite of the fact that it lacks some signifigant features. I needed to print manufacturing drawings with dimensions and details of 10 simple models. I'm running windows 8.1 at work.

First I wen't through the sketches which had the needed dimensions for prints, hit n for normal view and move important dimension in nice position. I also moved unwanted dimension outside the print area.

Then I used 'Show dimensions' for certain sketch and position model as big as possible in the screen. I tried 'Hidden edges removed' view, but as my part color was white; shaded view gave better result.

I begun screenshoting with windows snipping tool, but it's not the best so I searched better tool: Lightshot . It gives possibility to quickly add text, lines, arrows, highlights or remove un-necessary lines to screenshots and you can move/resize selection perfectly before applying. It also works very fast and can be woke up with PrintScreen -button. I used save to file, but often use save to clipboard for emails or so.

I took also images of 3d view to better explain the machinist what he's doing.

I ended up with a bunch of pngs with headers in image and informative filenames. Then I used windows built-in image printing, some images 1 per page and the ones with details I used predefined options to have multiple images resized to fit page.

Results were very good, time spent probably less than with actual drawings (I didn't have to add any dimensions since they are all there), prints are nice and clear. The only problem is that if model is changed, static images are useless.

But I actually made some real work with Onshape without importing or exporting anything!!! Next week I'll see if it's going to be profitable.
Can't post images because of IP, sorry.

I surely hope that Named views will develop in the direction that they could be used like an active screenshot that could be just printed again if model is changed. And if named views would have URL of their own, I could just skip the printing and production would use the up-to-date image/drawing directly from web. Tickets are in, feel free to 'add your vote' if you have similar needs.
//rami

Comments

• Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited June 2015
    Hi Rami,  what a great post.  Your experience demonstrates that even at these early stages (only 100+ days since public beta) real work is being done.  I am wondering if you considered loading your screenshots into a tab, making a version (to capture the state) then sharing the entire Onshape document with your machinist? I am checking into your named view URL question.... very interesting idea.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    @stevehess  Thanks for reading, I really appreciate Ons way of actively following the forum. We use currently paper or pdf to move things from cad to production. I haven't allowed web browsing into our production area currently, I will look if I can build 'onshape window' into our ERP - if named views would have url they could be embedded easily. Paper is difficult to pass, for some reason printed A4 is still more clear and handy than any screen or tablet with image/pdf opened.  

I need to do more testing what to download into tabs and what stays in ERP, dropbox, emails or google sheets, each product has a lot of strings attached; price calculations, production data, product data, marketing data, webdata, agreements etc. and I'm the only one who has access to everything.

In perfect world I would have only ERP and Onshape seamlessly integrated.. Currently cad systems are pretty much stand-alone systems and integrate poorly into any management software. I'm sure Onshape will 'fix' this issue too to get rid of the pdfs linked into ERP software..

//rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:

In perfect world I would have only ERP and Onshape seamlessly integrated.. Currently cad systems are pretty much stand-alone systems and integrate poorly into any management software. I'm sure Onshape will 'fix' this issue too to get rid of the pdfs linked into ERP software..

Great discussion.

This is where I want to be too.

@3dcad  what ERP are you using?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I didn't find any suitable ERP for my price class so I coded one myself on top of tiny UI creation software based on .net. 
    //rami
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Love this discussion, too.  I vote for URL's linked from within ERP or wherever you choose - coupled with something like QR codes that could be printed out for shop travelers on the floor, and sent up to a big screen as folks work on assemblies and such (or they can be printed if you like).  I really think Onshape could be YouTube like for accessing design information, or even service information for products already in the field.  An organized view or collections of views of information on the model, if done right, I think will win the day for numerous reasons eventually.  We've been through an ERP mess here at the day job, all heavy customized local install stuff.  I'd love to see ERP in the cloud with intelligent linking of part numbers, descriptions, BOMs, purchase history, AVL's, AML's, etc...
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    ......I'd love to see ERP in the cloud with intelligent linking of part numbers, descriptions, BOMs, purchase history, AVL's, AML's, etc...
    We would too @pete_yodis.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    stevehess said:
    ......I'd love to see ERP in the cloud with intelligent linking of part numbers, descriptions, BOMs, purchase history, AVL's, AML's, etc...
    We would too @pete_yodis.

@stevehess

O man... the things that could be done and the time that could be saved. :)
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2015
    The possibilities for ERP integration are huge. Looking forward to it. I think the platform that Onshape have created for project related design and GIT style versioning is a great platform to work from. Really looking forward to how they will handle interrelated parts libraries/formally released and revised parts/ outside vendor parts and a smooth workflow into various company ERP systems. I think the cloud platform and onshape's immutable design versioning is going to be key for this integration. 
  • Options
    ERP world would need few of Onshape like players to trash the current pricing.. There is no way smaller companies can afford $50 000+ software and it's a big buck for bigger companies too since prices go easily above million dollars and still they are just 'not the best'.
    Open source projects are a mess and there is a big gap between $50 - $10 000 invoicing software, $50 000 MRPs and $500 000+ ERPs.

This has lead to situation where even big companies hang on to ancient software since the price tag for new ERP, installed, commissioned, trained and fully working is just enormous..

My 'ERP' is probably a lot smaller than actual giant ERPs but I don't know better term for it since it has parts for sales&invoicing, clients, employees, products, purchase, warehouse, production with every step recording and a lot of specific stuff like machinery maintenance and such. Accounting I wanted to leave outside since it has a lot of legal stuff involved.
    I have only coded the things I need. But I think that is the key to simple UI, I don't have to mind about stuff we don't need.

I spent most of my free time for 3 years before 'launch' in my company and used a lot of time in the beginning to fix all the annoying things. Currently it's been in everyday use for 2,5 years without any major problems. I think I made good decision taking time to learn some coding & sql since it's invaluable for small company to efficiently adapt into (bigger) customers needs. And being efficient usually begins from software. 

What are the main ERPs in other regions? In Finland it's pretty much SAP or MS AX (only biggest companies use ERP)
    //rami
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @3dcad have you ever looked at odoo ?  I started playing with this for my side project and quite impressed.

In my day job I struggle with syspro. (would not recommend it), was much better when we had Max Extract but no support so was dumped and we were inflicted with painful process of change to a new system with little benefits. Problem is with ERP it not just the engineers making the decisions.
  • Options
    @brucebartlett  I have bumped into odoo multiple times when searched for alternative solutions, but I don't really understand their 'open source' mechanism. Made calculation with their pricing and it would cost more than $10 000/year for my needs and I would still need to create custom order/warehouse data imports, custom electronic invoicing and such.. And there would be a learning curve since there is so much unnecessary fields to meet the most of the worlds needs - my system has just the fields that meets our needs and if I need more, it's usually 5-30 min to add some functionality (depending on affects to other modules). 

If I would need to purchase ERP I would probably go with Aava software - their system looks very interesting but I'm still a bit skeptic about promises like 'Bends to any and all of the needs of your business.'  Unfortunately, their price class is currently too high for me (50 000€ -->).
    //rami
  • Options
    Just wanted to update that probably the worlds first furniture collection modeled in Onshape will go into production! I will add some pictures when first batch is produced..

Can't wait to be able to actually replace the photographing with perfect renders..

Now I'm facing a bigger challenge though, I would need to create assembly instructions with Onshape..
    //rami