Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean Intersect with MESH

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 1,999 PRO
The end game is to convert a MESH into a solid.

By using a boolean intersect to create a part, that should let us pick and choose pieces or sections of a mesh to convert.
Rather than having it attempt to convert an entire mesh.
Also that would allow us to purposefully ignore some parts of a mesh that we know are too complex to convert. (Self intersection errors from a bad scan for example)

This is lieu of manually creating sketches and tracing / extruding from a mesh, for a more streamlined workflow.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,666
    @john_mcclary We do this today in FeatureScript but not in our current boolean. Boolean of a solid and a mesh becomes a mesh.  Would this work?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 1,999 PRO
    Im in vegas and too drunck to understand, ill see in a week
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 142 PRO
    @lougallo - What you mention may work for a project I'm working on, but I don't see anything that looks like what you describe here: https://www.onshape.com/features/custom-features

Is this mesh-capable boolean public somewhere? 

Thanks. 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member Posts: 1,615 EDU
    edited May 28
    @tim_hess427
    @lougallo
    @john_mcclary

Here is a Boolean FeatureScript that I put together that supports solid parts, surfaces and meshes (I just updated it to support meshes).
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84d939daceef6a928b8abcba

@lougallo
    When has Onshape supported booleaning of meshes since?
    MB - I make FeatureScripts: view FS (My FS's have "Official" beside them)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,339 PRO
    @lougallo
    WHAT NOW???!!!
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2
    I tried the Boolean Featurescript. Is there any way to adjust the mesh density of the non-mesh objects? I subtracted a normal OnShape cylinder from a mesh (an imported .STL of a mechanical part). The cylinder has 16 facets on the curved part, and I can't find a way to increase the resolution.

• jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 43
    Release 1.87
    S1mon said:
    Is there any way to adjust the mesh density of the non-mesh objects?
    No, there's currently no way to adjust that.