Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirror Cut through a center plane - Possible ???

jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I'm trying to mirror a simple cut through a center plane, no success. Tried the face mirror, not working either. Any idea how to achieve that ?

Best Answer

Answers

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Can you share the file? I can do it here on my machine using face 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Remember to select all the faces when using face mirror and face mirroring can only happen within one part.
    //rami
  • jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Sure, how do i do that ?
    Make your model public (share menu) and then simply copy the link from your address bar when you have the document opened.
    //rami
    what is that cut through you wanted to mirror?
    //rami
    Extrude 7. I did cut the left side so i wanted to mirror it to cut the right side. I work aground it but it will be nice to be able to do it with a simple mirror.
    Yep, so the problem is that your are trying to mirror faces from part to another, this is not supported yet (I have left a ticket for this though, use ?-menu & feedback to add +1 for that ticket)

Part studio is so amazing that it's easy to forget there is actually multiple parts involved..
    //rami
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jean_didier as both @3dcad and @ben_1 mentioned you need to use the mirror feature and activate the option "Face Mirror", below a few images using your model to recreate the holes using the mirror faces feature.

1. Select the mirror feature and activate "Face mirror" (S1)
    2. Select all faces of the holes you want to mirror, 12 faces in total (S2)
    3. Select symmetry plane "Right" for the sample and you have mirrored holes (S3)

s2.png 415.8K
    s3.png 374.7K
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    The face in the bottom of the hole tends to be forgotten..
    //rami
    Thanks gents ! Got it. A little different that what i'm use too so that a learning curve !  thanks again!