Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fillet-Two Surfaces or Fillet-Three Surfaces to add material near drafted features?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Community Support

I created a simple model to show what I was wanting to do. I had two drafted surfaces that ended up forming a flattened V. I wanted to add some material in the valley by creating a fillet between the surfaces. Didn't see that option under Fillet. So I created a sketch (where you can create a fillet in the V sketched lines) and did an Extrude-Add. Easy enough to do in the simple model. Any thoughts on filling in a \-/ shape? I did try a Move Face on the actual model but that moved the entire face where I didn't want to increase the wall thickness. Guess I could do some Boolean caulking!
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    Made a quick test. Seems to work fine with sharp corner, but with flattened V result will be different.
    I would do final shape directly in sketch or make flat V line construction figure and extend to sharp V to be able to fillet only one the bottom line.

//rami
  • Options
    @andy_morris Slick! I'll give that a try!
  • Options
    On the above green sample part it didn't work, I assume because the V extended outside the part. But on the "real" part I did the 'Remove Face-Cap Void'
    and it retained the wall thinkness for the entire face! As you can see in the image the face extended beyond the V. Without the 'Cap Void' there was an opening where the face and wall use to be.

• Options
    I may of gotten excited to soon! Upon further review, there still was a \_/ that must be due to the 'Shell' thickness of 1mm. As I play with that value you can imagine the \_/ gets larger or becomes a V. I don't have professional experience with drafted plastic parts (shows eh?) but the CadCrowd contest I am doing this for wants a 3D Printed prototype but with all the drafts required for injection molding. I figure a molding tool isn't machined to a sharp point so that is why I am adding "rounds". Molded parts gurus out there??

• Options
    @andy_morris Thanks! You can image as I modify the design (moving features around), all this changes! I also thought of leaving all the radii in the model to last. Stop trying to make the model "look pretty" and get a final design for the customer to see! The 3D Printing will "round" the edges anyway. Let the people that make the actual mold work their magic! I don't know if they would even use my model anyway. Kinda like putting bend allowances in a sheet metal model. Every supplier likes using their own "formula". 
  • Options
    tarik_ansaritarik_ansari Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Any update on the feature for the fillet to be able to blend surfaces? that would be super useful