Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch scaling

michael_klinemichael_kline Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
There have been several posts asking about sketch scaling, but most of them have not been touched in a while. I was looking to see if anyone has created a faster work around than starting a new sketch with all of the dimensions based on a variable called "scale factor".

As seen in the attached, I have a fairly complex shape that I would like to scale down to the part I copied it into from the part I drew it in. The sketch has already been modified for scaling, including making the gaps wider and lowering the amount of detail involved. I have also rotated it to the correct angle, but that is a simple transformation.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Today if a quick re-scale of the sketch wasn't giving desired results I'd probably still resort to scaling the solid part rather than messing with the sketch.  Possibly using a measure distance feature to grab an initial reference so we know what to scale it by.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited March 2019
    Sketch scaling with parameters is almost impossible (for anything other than the simplest of profiles). It works well when there are NO parameters - other than the one you add to control a known dimension. The best solution for scaling complex profiles is exactly as Owen says, extrude the profile and then scale the part. At that point you can re-extract the edges to a new sketch and make any additional modifications as needed.

Quick Tip - now that sketches can have as a parent a mate connector - it is now possible to move/derive sketches to different planes and angles very easily - WAHOO!!! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape