Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape is better than SolidWorks EPDM, because...

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
Onshape is better than SolidWorks EPDM, because... (fill in)

Dries

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Thanks all. One of the reasons we are here is that we observed all these problems users had with PDM, version control, checking out, copying, etc. and realized that we needed to start from the beginning with a different kind of system architecture.
  • Options
    Aaron_Easton_NickovichAaron_Easton_Nickovich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    It's funny how none of the reasons this new modeling software is better is because of improved modeling tools. This just goes to show how seriously messed up file management and doc control has gotten.

I'd agree! I seriously don't care about a better spline tool or a faster way to make a square, because my work flow at this moment is now determined by how carefully I construct my model so it doesn't get destroyed when either myself or a colleague makes a design change in the future.
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Aaron, i was answering the question asked. IMHO I don't care how good the file system is if the core modelling tools are not up to scratch. For me it is geometry first, everything else second. Roght at this moment in time OS has a way to go before the geometry is sorted to the level that I could consider it as a primary tool.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    no vault!

one database, one design, one place to get things done, sweet!

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I think all the reasons mentioned so far show the advantages of a system like Onshape over EPDM. For me, the configuration of EPDM has been long and laborious and one of the major Advantages Onshape might have. For companies already using EPDM, are there plans to help import the data from a current PDM system into Onshape? I could see this as a major sticking point for companies wanting to switch in due time, or is Onshape just targeting startups and companies that are not involved with PDM yet? Curious to hear how the data import might work in these circumstances.
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    @PDY‌ Onshape will definitely support migration from and connection to existing PDM & PLM systems.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve. Connection to existing PDM & PLM systems... interesting. What about import of revision history from a system like EPDM?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    As someone who had been implementing, coding and using EPDM for a dozen years (back in the Conisio days) I have to say there are many truths here. There are a number of things that come to mind, but one that continues to come up is no hardware or IT to manage and cross platform.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.