Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Test model for new hire

michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
I am looking to hire someone and I would like to find a test model which I can have them model to gauge their skills in a few areas. I don't want something that will take many hours to model, but I want something which does require some intermediate skills. I also want to stay away from models with features that are Onshape-specific since they would probably not know Onshape and it's more of a general test of parametric modeling and to see some of their workflows.

Some of the skillsets that would be nice to test are:
Basic solid modelling
Surfacing
Attention to detail
Creativity
Solution generation (Like if a dimension is hard to calculate and the answer is somewhere unexpected??)

I hope I can find something good which can help me set a benchmark on what they know and what areas may need improvement.

Comments

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few contest we play here, I think some of that could help you:
    I like this one https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9426/another-design-contest/p1
    It is simple, but seem more simple that it really is.

Or you could try with this one https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/40998#Comment_40998

But as you mentioned you should see their workflows and how the information is organized.

Bottom line, I recomend to create that model https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9426/another-design-contest/p1 , add some simple parts in the key slots in an assembly add properties, material etc. and create all the drawings. That could take 1 hour plus minus.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    It would mostly depend on your work's design type and tooling that determines what modeling skills matter.

for our company it will focus on:
    - weldments
    - configurations
    - sheet-metal
    - laser/plasma
    - 2.5 axis CNC
    - lathe

other companies may want skills that have no grounds in what we do:
    - 3d printing
    - surfacing
    - plastic injection
    - tool/die
    - wood work / furnature

These all take a uniquely developed skill, and can change how you need to think and model completely.
    What we do is give them a small project and put them to the test. They can ask any questions they want, and we walk them through a similar project so they can get a feel for "our way"