Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I stop an assembly drawing updating when the assembly motional position is changed?

bigrogfbigrogf Member Posts: 10
I have designed a motor bike lift and I want a drawing of the lift in the up position and a drawing of it in the down position (I use named positions). I haven't found a way to do this because the drawings want to update every time I change the motion state of the actual assembly. Is there any way of stopping this happening? I have tried a search but unfortunately did not find an answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not tested this specifically, but have you tried linking your drawing views to a specific version of the assembly? If not referencing a specific version, the drawing is probably just reflecting whatever is in the current workspace and updating according. If you link to a version, it shouldn't change. 
  • bigrogfbigrogf Member Posts: 10
    I have not tested this specifically, but have you tried linking your drawing views to a specific version of the assembly? If not referencing a specific version, the drawing is probably just reflecting whatever is in the current workspace and updating according. If you link to a version, it shouldn't change. 
    No I haven't because I think that the problem with that is that any updates to any parts in the assembly subsequent to the version will not be reflected in the drawings. I just want to freeze the rotation angle of one of the scissor legs in the lift. I suspect that Configurations might do it but I have a mental block with them, and can't figure out how to do it
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I find using an assembly configuration the best way to show the positions. Either a tickbox for up or down or a drop-down list with various positions. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • bigrogfbigrogf Member Posts: 10
    I find using an assembly configuration the best way to show the positions. Either a tickbox for up or down or a drop-down list with various positions. 
    Ok I need to get some more learning in on configurations