Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how can i edit an imported solidworks file?

adva_esheladva_eshel Member Posts: 4 EDU
i imported solidworks file, it says that the translation completed. 
how can i work on the it?
when i double click it, it doesn’t really open the file in a work space, instead i see this-

thanks for ur help :)

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    If you click on the house icon, bottom left, is there a Part Studio with the translated part in it? If not, right-click on the tab at the bottom (pokeball.SLDPRT) and select import.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    yes. the part is there,
    but when I double click it (to enter and start edit) it shows me the file's details and not getting me into the workspace. like in the pic attached.
    why is that? 

and thanks for the quick response:)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    Double-click? To open the doc or to import the file? A doc will open on the last seen tab.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    found it. thank you!
  • Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited June 2019
    You can only do direct edits on imported parts. The sketches and features used in SolidWorks won't carry over. You should just have a single import feature in the feature tree. Depending on how you imported you will have one or multiple parts in the parts list.
    You can create new sketches and new geometry if needed, or you can also extrude or remove existing geometry, add holes, move or offset faces, or scale the model just like you would to anything created in Onshape.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Just to add to the controversy, I prefer to add solidworks assemblies to a part studio and flatten it. I prefer to build the assemblies inside onshape from the flatten part studio. This gives me better assemblies & a good part studio to work with. The assemblies inside onshape are trivial to build up and to get working and I prefer to use it as a master structure. 

Like Chris says, you'll have dumb solids. This hasn't been a problem with my SW imports.

I've set it up so I can go back and forth sending files back to solidworks from onshape and work full circle. The newer assembly inside onshape drives everything and is the master of this onshape & solidworks combo. File names and structures pass back & forth. I've been working on properties moving from each system but haven't gotten this work. Assigning properties is much easier in onshape and wish I could shove them back down into solidworks.