Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude Remove Does not do as expected

dana_kelley262dana_kelley262 Member Posts: 31
The below link has the document in question. 

The first image below shows the remove Blind failing to remove material through the cylinder wall as show in the next image. I need the material removed through the back wall and also up to the internal face in the opposite direction. Note the same exact extrude is done on the opposite end of the tube and works as expected. Also note it use to work until reordering sketches and extrudes. I'm very new to using OnShade so there may be a subtle issue with a sketch or something else. From my point of view there is a potential bug in the code.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d13eaf26a2956ddd451ab160/w/36e3e863a4661531560cfff5/e/92ce7cd97adb501daacea219

Best Answers

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I took a look, and I agree that the results are unexpected. It seems that the "up to face" condition is confusing the operation on the negative profile extrude. The really weird part is that the operation works on one of of the tube, but the same operation doesn't work for the negative clip profile. 

Not sure if this is a bug or expected, but as a work-around, you can split your extrude into two different extrudes. So, just create one extrude that has the blind depth you want. Then create another extrude in the opposite direction that has the "up to face" condition. You can use the same sketch to do both extrudes. It'll just be hidden and you'll need to un-hide it to do the second extrude. 
  • dana_kelley262dana_kelley262 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks, I happen to just think of that approach shortly after posting and sure enough that works fine. 

Still looks like a bug revealed by the reordering process.

I'll wait for others to review and might puss it up to potential code bug.