Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Lines on 2nd plane without making a sketch entity first

darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
edited June 2019 in Community Support
I'm making 2, 90 degree lines on the front plane, and then 2, 90 degree lines on the right plane, and I have to do it without tapping to create a sketch entity bc I'm going to use coincident to connect the 2.

If I create a sketch entity before using coincident it will connect the sketch entity to the plane instead of to the point I need it to connect to. There's no included link to a file bc it would create a sketch.

The problem I'm having is if I use the view cube to switch planes it won't let me draw a line.

Strangely enough I can draw a line if I don't use the view cube and instead drag to rotate the view around, but then the angles aren't right.

How do I draw lines on a second plane using the view cube, and not checking to create a sketch entity first?

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Answer ✓
    Hi @darren_mason871 - if the view cube rotates the view so that it is perpendicular to the sketch plane then you can't draw a line. If you are not using 3D Fit Spline, then you have to sketch.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11897/coincident-constraint-android#latest
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Answer ✓
    Hi @darren_mason871 - if the view cube rotates the view so that it is perpendicular to the sketch plane then you can't draw a line. If you are not using 3D Fit Spline, then you have to sketch.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11897/coincident-constraint-android#latest
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
  • Options
    Answer ✓

• Options
    edited June 2019
    For the great part, your line work (so to speak) is done on a plane, or on the side of a part. One exception to this is the 3D fit spline tool

So the procedure is to select the plane or the side of a part, and the plane or side will highlight in yellow when you have it selected. Then you pick a tool from the sketch tools and start sketching. That creates a sketch — once you press the checkmark in the dialog box for that sketch, on your mobile app.

Using the view cube to change your point of view is not going to establish a new plane to sketch on, merely by using that cube to change your view. You have to do what’s said in the previous paragraph

If you start a sketch on a plane, that sketch is going to stay on the surface of that plane, or on the surface of the side of the part that you started sketching on. Using a constraint is not going to move it off the surface of that plane or part.

There is a way to change the plane for a sketch after the fact. That can be covered latter.

If you want to sketch something parallel to a plane or parallel to the side of a part, you can use the Plane tool to create a plane at the location you want

If you make a Sketch A, and you want part of Sketch B to intersect or originate or be coincident with a point on Sketch A, then you need to create a plane at that location on Sketch A. Then make your Sketch B on that plane.

If you are using a computer, you can also use the Mate tool, and it will work similar to the Plane tool. But I found that this part of the Mate tool will not work on my iPhone. So unless I’m missing something, it looks like this aspect of the Mate tool has not been set up on mobile devices yet

The Plane tool allows you to create a number of different types of planes. Read the fine orange print at the top of the dialog box for each plane type.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm