Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Intended behavior? Multiple fixed parts move independently in next assembly

2»

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    edited April 2022
    Hi @sebastien_frys, I'll answer on Jake's behalf. You have to bear in mind that Parts created in a Part Studio are totally independent when it comes to assemblies regardless of how they were modelled. Grouping merely fixes the distance between them. If you suppress the group and move them, then the relative distance between them has been changed.

Your options are: undo/restore, mate, delete/insert
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited April 2022
    sebastien_frys  

I wish parts from partstudios came into assemblies fixed vs. unfixed. This would help in so many ways.

One approach that I use, for every part studio there's an assembly. Take that part studio assigned assembly into your project assemblies. I know it adds an extra level to your structure and you want to keep your project structure flat and simple but it really cleans up this mess if you assign an assembly to a part studio. 

As your project grows and having part studios inside your production assemblies, it becomes messy. 

My thinking, every part studio has an assembly associated with it to manage the parts coming out of the part studio. If you believe in this, then you're managing assemblies at a project level and it's much more manageable. Remember, assemblies are free.

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,534 PRO
    If two parts designed in a part studio have a specific expected relative position, then I would typically give each a coincident mate connector in the part studio (as a side note, it would be nice to be able to "assign" an explicit mate connector to multiple parts and in the background Onshape would create an identical one for each part it's assigned to).
    This way you just mate them to each other in the assembly rather than use a group and their respective positions will always be correct.

If they are always used together you could also create a composite (although they would then show up as a single item in the BOM, which may or many not be acceptable).