Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly context model-tree: view all part-level features, sketches and datums

Moshe_BaumMoshe_Baum Member Posts: 1 EDU
New to OnShape Pro (just began trial) and the first thing that really bothers me from the very beginning is the lack of access/visibility to full part-level details in assembly context simply, without activating or clicking. Just list the whole thing like any CAD. As someone who spend lifetime designing in large/complex assemblies I find this to be a real drawback and I'd be surprised if I'm the first user ever to ask for that. But just in case - here's an official request! :):smiley:

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Welcome,  you're right. Assembly level detail/editing is pretty much absent in Onshape.

I'm not suggesting it is not necessary, but Onshape is very responsive when switching between tabs and drilling into a model. That coupled with the fwd/back buttons on the browser. I feel more at home here that I honestly don't miss thoes tools as much as I initially thought I would. 

I would defintly love to have sketch/feature edit directly from the asm. But double clicking a part is almost good enough for now.

Also remeber, being cloud based you can work quickly too. No need to save means no need to wait for regen either. So I tend to open the part in asm, double click the feature, edit, click the green check then the back button on the browser (push mouse wheel left) almost imediatly. The whole process is about the same speed as SW's as  level part editing.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2019
    OS brings the assembly to the part. It's different but I don't feel it's less effective than staying in the assembly and editing. Being a top down designer also, I'm not struggling, perhaps I've grown used to it.  

Controlled updates is really nice and multiple context is also nice especially when 2 people are working in the same assembly. Remember you could never have 2 people working in the same assembly in older systems.

Assemblies are different in onshape and take time to master, I prefer them over the older systems. They seem more predictable to me.

Wait till you start referencing documents from other documents, that's when the fun begins and it's something the older systems just don't have.

• Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Moshe,

Just in case it was not clear. Onshape did approach top down design bit differently. A Part studio in Onshape is intended to be used for multipart, top down design. There are none of the typical limitations and quirks associated with building multiple parts in one Part Studio.  

I only mention this, since its something you might have overlooked if you are just getting started. That is not to say what you are asking for is not reasonable. But you might find the need to "more stuff" in the assembly less needed in Onshape 

https://www.onshape.com/videos/designing-top-down-with-multi-part-part-studios-01-25-18

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.