Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape mobile featres

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a document or  a web page that list all of  the design features you can perform on Onshape mobile? Are there plans for sheet metal features becoming available on Onshape mobile? Do Android and IOS have the same amount of features or does one have more than the other?

Thank you
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

@bryan_lagrange

Document or webpage on features?

Below are the main differences between the desktop version and the iPhone app

REGARDING THE IPHONE APP ——

No Drafting

No creating Configurations. But, you can change or alter Configurations created on the desktop

No Feature Studios (emphasis on STUDIOS) i.e. no script writing 

There is sheetmetal. But sheetmetal does not have the real-time unfolded window

Now with the above said ———

I really don’t see any big difference between desktop and iPhone when you’re modeling (in Part Studios)

Assembly doesn’t seem that different either, but I’m not someone who has done extensive Assembly work, so others could better speak to this

Where the iPhone app has the desktop beat in a very big way is convenience. My opinion. By the way — I’m sitting semi-reclined in my La-Z-Boy right now with my feet up watching TV and using Onshape on my iPhone 

————

After looking through the help as @MBartlett21 pointed out, I added that you can CHANGE configurations

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @bryan_lagrange
    On the help page for each specific feature, it says which platforms it is on at the top
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I have the android app and it does not have sheetmetal. I guess the IOS version has a few more features.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @bryan_lagrange

I probably should’ve gave you more detail on the sheet-metal tools earlier in the previous post, so for what it’s worth, here are the exact sheet-metal tools / FeatureScripts that I have 

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange correct, they only released SM tools for iOS then either quickly forgot about the other half of the world or it got pushed back for more important releases.

for now the work around is to open a mobile browser, add your feature then go back to the app and edit.

I'm not sure if there is an IR for android sheet-metal, but you should create one if you find yourself stuck in the mobile environment often
  • Options
    thanks @john_mcclary
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    anscarlettanscarlett Member Posts: 3 EDU

No Drafting

No creating Configurations.

I really don’t see any big difference between desktop and iPhone when you’re modeling (in Part Studios)

Assembly doesn’t seem that different either, but I’m not someone who has done extensive Assembly work, so others could better speak to this

For quite some time it has seemed that mobile updates, at least on android, are either adding only trivial functionality or only minor bug fix releases. The functional disparity between desktop and mobile really feels to be expanding. 

Drafting and configurations would be really useful on mobile.

I find a lot of minor issues, such as the colour hints for axes seem to be missing in tools like transform and assembly mate offsets, no variable autocomplete (or variable refactoring!), and batch changing of appearances.

Most are trivial but would be really beneficial for a mobile app, especially without a keyboard attached.

I'd also like to see a full equation editor with macros and intellisense and refactoring, along with project or global variables that can be accessed by part studios, assemblies, drawings and featurescripts.