Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 30th, 2019

2»

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited August 2019
    @philip_thomas
    I also strongly disagree. I would say only on very rare occasions do I have a circle in the center of a pattern, and half of that time would I assume it was going to be larger than the 4 hole pattern.

I like my hole patterns centered in a plate, the most parametric way to do this is with a center point rectangle, or construction geometry linked to part midpoints.
    99/100 times there will not be a hole in the center, because that is where the body of the mounted object is likely to be. There is more to a machine than the motor mount or flange bearing  ;)

Even so, MOST motors we use are 90° gearmotors  with take-up sub plates, not flange mounts.
    which makes the assumption triple wrong, as I would need (3) separate 4-hole patterns to mount a motor,
    1 - Motor bolts (Center of orange take-up plate)
    2 - Take-up slots on the orange plate
    3 - Take-up mount holes on the blue plate

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2019
    @john_mcclary - Love the feedback - thank you!
    There are already internal email threads discussing this - it will likely change. 
    Just to be clear - you, and everyone else on these threads are making the product better - that's exactly what we set out to do, build the best product possible by actually listening to customers :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    That's why I love Onshape so much, the staff will listen and doesn't have the "we know better than you" attitude.
    Can't please everyone, but you come pretty close some of the time.
  • Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    it wouldn't be a problem if the holes snap to all the points of selected sketches, vertices are just too weak entities for this
  • nbennettnbennett Member Posts: 5 PRO
    edited August 2019
    @john_mcclary - Love the feedback - thank you!
    There are already internal email threads discussing this - it will likely change. 
    Just to be clear - you, and everyone else on these threads are making the product better - that's exactly what we set out to do, build the best product possible by actually listening to customers :)
    I think the issue here is pretty straightforward: the new feature adds a hole to all vertices and sketch points, when it should be selecting only sketch points. This would allow users to manually choose what holes they want featured from their sketch by adding points.

However, this doesn't address the issue with center point rectangles which comes with a sketch point already at the center. I guess the alternative here would be to delete the point, or relation the sketch differently altogether, which is entirely doable. I rarely use center point rectangles partially for that reason, instead referencing the midpoint between holes from a nearby edge. But if Onshape really wants to take it a step further, then having a sort of filter like others have mentioned that allows the user to select points that shouldn't be included in the feature would also help.

Overall this is a great addition, and the potential is clearly there. Does this mean we can expect to find hole tables around the corner? Really been waiting for this one as there is no proper way to dimension many, many holes in drawings.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    What would be the best method to use the vertices of the sketches?

Currently, points cannot be defined as construction geometry
    And vertex of construction geometry entities are also included when the sketch is selected.

What do you think? 
    I like the idea to manually turn the points into construction geometry!
    This way we can create a centered rectangle, place point in the desired corners and turn the middle point into a construction geometry:

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    On the email download link, is there a way to copy generate a link without the email.  i.e. create a collection of download links that can be put into a list but have the benefit of the timeout rather than using the link?  It seems to work if I just copy the link out of the email but needs the email to make it work. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Right, i had 3 assemblies from 3 docs, i just did the normal 3 dowloads and email to make it easy on the customer
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2019
    Right, i had 3 assemblies from 3 docs, i just did the normal 3 dowloads and email to make it easy on the customer
    It would be awesome to get a way to generate export/download link. Then you just gen and copy to a list in the email rather than multiple emails. 
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    Being able to use the download links in my email (rather than an email from Onshape) would help me control my communications better too.

Half the time, those kind of emails end up in people's Spam folders, or (Updates or whatever) and get missed. This requires me to send an "I'm sending a download link in another email..." email.

(Also, many large corporations have very restrictive internet access rules, and downloading stuff from links is a no go for them....as crazy as it is, they are firmly in the Outlook era of attachments and managed connections.)

• don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    All this is all well and good, but I am still majorly hampered by not being able to create groups of items within the Instances Tree.  There's just way too much scrolling.
    And again, having the Mate Features in the Instances Tree is another huge detriment.
    All this is all well and good, but I am still majorly hampered by not being able to create groups of items within the Instances Tree.  There's just way too much scrolling.
    And again, having the Mate Features in the Instances Tree is another huge detriment.
    Agreed, large assemblies are hard to navigate. Folders or a tagging method for instances and mates would really help. The project I was just working, I also really needed a search tool for the assy tree as scrolling to find things in a list of 100's of part is time-consuming. 
  • thibault_gradthibault_grad Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Hi there,
    I can't find the export option "Email as link". Is this option gone in the current version ?
    Thanks,
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    @thibault_grad the option is there only if you have export permissions on your document.  To access the export option, right click on a document tab for a Part Studio, Assembly, Drawing or a Part/Sub-Assembly in the feature tree or the graphics window, and choose Export:

Then choose the email option from the "Options" dropdown menu

Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hi there,
    I can't find the export option "Email as link". Is this option gone in the current version ?
    Thanks,
    It's only there when using a paid account. So, I don't see it at my free account.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    @Henk_de_Vlaamthanks for raising this, I am checking with the team now.
    Regards,
    @Henk_de_Vlaam @thibault_grad. This feature is not available for FREE accounts and is only available for STANDARD, PRO and ENTERPRISE accounts.  It was previously available for all accounts, but the decision was made to change this.
    Regards,