Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean Operation - 2 Parts w/Substrat

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
Hello All

I cannot seem to remove what is left from the Boolean operation of a tube joining another tube at 90 degrees, see the sketch.

I want to remove whats left in the notched-hole; but when I delete, the tube goes along with it.  So gents, what's up?

Robert,

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Are you using the Delete Part feature?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.
    Are they actually two separate parts?  If not when you delete one you delete it all. :/

If that is the case then you might be able to make that "lump" go away by using the "delete face" feature but instead of that I'd probably chose to:-
    (a) Use the "Transform Copy in place" feature to copy the tube you used as a boolean removal tool.
    (b) Delete the inner face of this tube copy, thus turning it into a solid cylinder.
    (c) Boolean this new solid cylinder away from your target part.

If you post a link to your document it'll be easier to debug.  Details here on that process :- https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Neil - seems after the Boolean Subtract Operation; the useless parts are duplicated in the "parts list" with the same part designation as the original.

It is an extra step(s) to hunt-and-peck for the 2-4 similar part names to delete them.  However, your suggestion produces the desired results, thanks.

Problem Solved.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @robert_melascaglia

If you post a link to your document (instructions here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first ) we can take a more holistic look at the document and see if the issue can be fixed be editing an earlier feature, rather than just tacking more features on the end of the parts list.

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team