Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

creating documents that I own even though I'm on a company plan

I use a free onshape account for some hobby projects. I'm also an independent contractor. As part of this work, a company has added my account to their paid subscription so that I can work on private projects for them. However, now whenever I create a new document, it is owned by them and I can't change it. Is there some way around this besides creating a new email address and a new onshape account?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    edited November 2019
    The only way around this is to ask a company admin to transfer ownership of specific docs to you. The doc will still be shared with the company unless you unshare the doc once you've taken ownership.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    If you create a folder and get them to transfer ownership to you, you can then create your documents inside that folder and they will be owned by you.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    (a)Did this change? I'm sure it used to ask you who you wanted a new doc to be owned by?

(b) I had a hell of a time the other day releasing a part. It turned out the document was owned by me not my company, so the 4 ways to release a part described in the help were absent, but did exist in other Doc's I looked at. (The other Doc's were company owned so could be released) but at the time it just looked to me like most Doc's worked but the one I needed didn't... As soon as I transferred ownership of the problem doc to the company the release management functions showed up.

So all was working, but it wasn't obvious what the problem was.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    If you create a folder and get them to transfer ownership to you, you can then create your documents inside that folder and they will be owned by you.
    Good call. 
  • Options
    @owen_sparks

a) Yes, but it was changed by request to ensure all docs created by employees are owned by the company. 

b) Must have been a very old doc?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Yup, this is the workflow I have been using since my company took over payments of my account.
    Works great for all of the example documents I make that I want public on the forum, not owned by the company.