Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Feature: Multi-Mirror

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 701 PRO
edited December 2019 in FeatureScript
I often work with symmetrical designs in multi-part studios, and many times I have a number of parts to mirror across multiple planes. With the standard mirror feature, I have to use a new feature for each part x the number of planes to mirror about. That means if I have 3 parts to mirror about the top, right, and front planes, I'll need 9 mirror features. This feature can do it all in one go either using the world planes, or the 3 directions of a mate connector. Hopefully, someone else finds it useful too. You can find the feature here. I'm open to improvement suggestions if someone imagines a tweak that would open up a better workflow. note: this isn't meant to replace the standard mirror, since it only handles bodies and is a lot less flexible in certain ways, but it definitely solves a pain-point I've had since the Solidworks days.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Fractal
Instagram: @evan.reese.designs

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,116 PRO
    Oh, that's a good idea
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 284
    Nice, I will use this a lot!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Bonus points awarded for building an icon that looks perfectly in keeping with the native features B)
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 590 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

Very useful feature!   It would be nice to work on surfaces also if possible.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 701 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

Very useful feature!   It would be nice to work on surfaces also if possible.
    oooooh  :o that's a good idea.
    edited December 2019
    Bonus points awarded for building an icon that looks perfectly in keeping with the native features B)
    Owen S.
     B)B)B)
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 156 PRO
    Whew, now this will save some time. 

Thanks Evan!
    @MichaelPascoe
    This is one of my personal favorites. It cuts down so much repetitive work for certain designs. Shoutout to @MBartlett21 who helped me refactor the code to be much more concise.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 156 PRO
    Multi Mirror is now a part of my standard procedure! I used it today to create a mirrored plinth. Smooth.

I'm so glad! I still get a kick out of it every time I use it. I often use it even when it's just one part and one mirror, so that it's easy to add parts to the feature later if I need to without messing up the IDs of things downstream.