Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch Profile inspection for open contours

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭
It would be nice to have a command that you could execute inside a sketch that would highlight open profiles. 

When a profile is closed, Onshape shades the profile. However sometimes when you believe a shape is "closed" it is hard to find the open contour because the open contour is so small you have to draw temporary lines all over the profile to find the area and then you have to zoom in to the smallest of areas to close the profile. I find this issue rises the most with imported non native .dxf files. 

Simple contour profile, temporary lines are an easy work around to find open profile. If importing something like a complex logo from a customer, that you are making a custom sign for, then the temporary lines and zooming in can be a big time consumer.
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 1,841 PRO
    I think there is a connected edges option in the create selection dialog that might help.
    MB - I make FeatureScripts: View FeatureScripts
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,813
    @bryan_lagrange You have this when there is no filled region shown as well.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭
    @MBartlett21 could you show an example? 
    Bryan Lagrange

@bryan_lagrange

See image below that shows a closed sketch:

All the edges are highlighted due to their being connected
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 307 PRO
    I think @bryan_lagrange is asking for a tool that highlights the "gap" that results in an open contour. If there's only one gap between line segments, the selection tool will still be able to select all connected edges, even if they don't create a closed loop. 

On the bright side, if there is more than one gap between line segments, the selection tool would show you the two gaps closest to your selection. 

First image - 1 gap. Selection tool not useful.  :/
    Second image  - 2 gaps (circled in red). Selection tool useful.  :smile::smile:

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭
    That is what I am looking for @tim_hess427
    Bryan Lagrange

@tim_hess427
    @lougallo
    Would the create selection tool be able to highlight the ends of the loop it selects when 'Loop/chain connected' is selected?
    This should make finding one gap easier to do