Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

dissolve composite part in an assembly

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
I think it could be useful to be able to dissolve composite parts in the assembly to allow them to move with respect to each other. I guess it is not possible, no?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    No, you will need to use a sub assembly instead of a composite part.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    No, you will need to use a sub assembly instead of a composite part.
  • Options
    john_mcclary
    john_mcclary I don't really understand subassemblies. Do they behave like a rigid body?
    What I try to do is to have some hinges and have an open state assembly and a closed state assembly like: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/899082ca6d1dad7869e1d3f9/w/78521a8fd1d022a6954e94af/e/6fbedb1d95066c92143918cf

and 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/899082ca6d1dad7869e1d3f9/w/78521a8fd1d022a6954e94af/e/77e7428c71c5e9dc6c18c6f5

How can I achieve that?
  • Options
    I am not sure what you are trying to hinge from the images above.
    I also do not have permission to view your document.

If you want to make it public or share directly with me I'll send you my email privately.
    Let me know

Composite parts are more like a rigid body.

Assemblies can be rigid or flexible depending on how you mate
  • Options

john_mcclary , Was shared with support, I've added john_mcclary@onshape.com ? 
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2020
    @rune_thorsen229

Composite parts work well when you download a part from a vendor which is a mess and you want to clean it up. You can easily take 15 parts & 3 surfaces and make them behave as one. But, they do become one. This is a huge concept.

Sub-assemblies allow motion and instancing. They can be a better representation of a vendors part. You have to create the assembly and you'll have 2 tabs to manage. One tab creates geometry (part studio) and one tab manages the parts (assembly).

In your in a top assembly, pick components, RMB and move to new assembly. This will allow you to easily break up your top up into manageable sub-assy. There is no tax on assy tabs so you can use as many as you want.

The top assembly and sub-assemblies define your project structure. Every project structure is different. Many ignore managing their project structure, get into trouble and live a frustrated life. If you're just learning. Get this point, manage how you're putting your projects together.

I don't import many parts into my top assy. I'm mostly using sub-assy. Most my library parts are sub-assy's.

BOM's are a little more difficult with this approach because I need flat vs. structure at the line level versus the entire BOM. I exclude a lot of stuff to get the BOM's right and don't complain much about this. I really like the BOM's in Onshape but there are a few things to improve. Pete Y. has shared the insight into what's coming and it's exciting.

I'm an advocate for using more assemblies.

John is an expert user who inspires us all, he does not work for Onshape. You can reference him using his handle 
    @john_mcclary.

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2020
    I can't get into your document.

From the looks of your images, it looks like an over-center cam lock mechanism.

If it were my design, the container for it would be an assembly which would have the proper motion and limits defined. I would then elect it to be a library candidate so anyone in my company could use it in their designs.

Keep in mind, that others could insert it into their assemblies and have a working over-center cam lock mechanism. This is the beauty of Onshape if you set it up correctly.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Still can't get in. It's not a public document and only shared with you and TS. Sharing privileges in onshape documents works really well. 

I've got to prepare for our users group on March 11th. Can you make it? We're leaving the world of part studios and moving into assemblies. I've got a cool way to handle library parts I want to share. Hope to see you there.

• Options
    @billy2 I've started a discussion here 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13115/design-flow-for-3d-printing
    as for sharing i'll send you a pm