Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export failed - STEP exporting

mitja_ševerkarmitja_ševerkar Member Posts: 2
Hello!
I wanted to export a composite file, that I imported from AutoCAD via .STL. So I did that! I can export to any file, but the only one that didn't want to export for me was .STEP/.STP. I want to export to STEP, but it gaves me this error in notifications: Export failed.
Is there any way for me to do that and thanks for your time!

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    STEP is for solid and surface models, not meshes imported from STL - you can only export a mesh as STL (or another faceted format).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You will need to find a mesh->solid converter, or you will need to re-draw the part naively using the mesh as a skeleton.

I think FreeCad, Fusion, SolidWorks have built-in converters, but I never got em to work.