Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

assembly level cut feature?

chris_121chris_121 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Are there plans to bring in assembly level operations such as extruded cut?  
When working with welded assemblies this is a very useful feature.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You can create new improvement request for voting.

I suppose this is pretty standard feature and the least we should expect from Onshape is to meet the standard requirements.
    //rami
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @chris_121 As a workaround you can create multiple parts in a single part studio as per position in assembly. Any feature you add for cutting parts, it will update in assembly. I feel that availability of assembly level features is one of the most important thing in design and Onshape definitely have a plan to bring it as soon as possible. We will wait for the same.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @chris_121 , In CAD assembly features required for Assembly operations like hole, extrude cut, surface machining etc. are performed to maintain the alignment and accuracy of operation. Therefore it is very important to have assembly level operations.I also hoping Onshape will introduce this capability in near future definitely.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @viru: some of these operations would lend themselves to being performed in a Part Studio, I agree with @shashank_aarya.

I'm thinking a part studio would ideally be used (once the feature list issues are manageable) to model assemblies within which there was not relative motion. This would avoid the whole can of worms you get when assemblies and parts reference each other.

What's more, assembly operations (a single feature embracing many parts) get very difficult to manage in assemblies with relative motion...

I think we need to make sure we don't simply transfer our thinking from legacy packages across to Onshape, because we risk bringing a lot of our old problems with us if we do.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO

I think we need to make sure we don't simply transfer our thinking from legacy packages across to Onshape, because we risk bringing a lot of our old problems with us if we do.
    I agree very much! I sometimes find myself guilty on such thinking too..
    //rami
  • Options
    daniel_staudtdaniel_staudt Member Posts: 7
    i think i am in the right concept of a thread.
    can anyone help me with my document?
    i would like the ends of the DC connector to be limited by the board under clearance so it does not show up. the part does have them that long but after soldering they are cut. is there a way to show this in the assembly with out making the part itself cut off?

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Multiple post I think.  Your link seemed to point to a studio that doesn't exist.  If you're talking about changing a part based on geometry in an assembly then "edit in context" may be what you're looking for?
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd